Suggestion: Hard Drive access activity/ process Monitor

StackOverflow13

Just an idea: I have on my sensor panel multiple hard drives (9) with bar graphs of usage free space etc. one of the things which would be nice is if it could overlay an activity graph ie when the drive is being accessed. useful beacuse when doing disk to disk backups you can just look at the drive gauages & see the drives being heavily written to as a reuslt of background activity (backups etc),.

Also how about a process meter which can list the top ten process listed by cpu useuage & mem. Which would then at a glance tell you want software is running causing this activity.

Just some ideas.

I must congratulate you on a great piece of software, best purchase I have made in a couple of months. Using this alongside rainemeter gives me all the info I could possibly need. Very light-weight programme too.

• 2 years later...

We've implemented disk activity measurement in the latest AIDA64 beta update available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

Please note that the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager seems to measure the read and write speeds not in the classic MB/s or GB/s measurement units. It uses a divisor of 1000 instead of 1024, and that leads to displaying higher values than AIDA64. We stick to using the classic divisor and classic interpretation of MB/s and GB/s.

Also note that the current hardware monitor module of AIDA64 supports up to 10 disk drives when measuring disk activity. If you have more drives and would like us to expand the limit of 10 drives, let me know.

Nice feature - thanks ! :)

It is working ok, but one question: can you make it so that instead of disk 1, disk 2 etc., there would be actual disk letters. I had to find out which disk responds to which disk letter by trial and error method. Disk 1, disk 2 etc. also dont match windows disk management disk numbering. :mellow:

It is working ok, but one question: can you make it so that instead of disk 1, disk 2 etc., there would be actual disk letters. I had to find out which disk responds to which disk letter by trial and error method. Disk 1, disk 2 etc. also dont match windows disk management disk numbering. :mellow:

totally agree. Thanks for implementing though. Just the process meter left then!

We haven't yet found a reliable way to may phyiscal drives to drive letters. You can peek into the Task Manager though, to find that out. The only difference is that Task Manager calls the first disk Disk #0, while AIDA64 calls the same disk Disk #1.

But how can be that drive letters are showing correctly for Drive Utilization, Used Space and Free Space ?

Those items measure the values for logical drives (like C: or Z:) Disk activity measures the values for physical drives. One physical drive may have 0, 1, 2 or more logical drives assigned to.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the Disk activity measurement feature! Maybe you could go a step further and show the process, which produces the most disk activity? (similar to CPU process meter)

Would be great...

AFAIK it's not possible to detect that under Windows :(

Which reading do you mean exactly? I can't find an association in the Task Manager between a process and a utilization value for a specific drive.

ok, it is not for a specific drive, that's correct. But for me, it is not important to show it for a specific drive; i just would like to know what is slowing down my system (CPU or disk activity and the related process). If it is svchost or tiworker, then i already know, where it is coming from... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

We've implemented disk activity measurement in the latest AIDA64 beta update available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

I've been looking for this for Sensor Panel a long time... Using the latest beta I don't see anything in Sensor Panel Manager other than the usual drive: used space, free space and utilization?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I've been looking for this for Sensor Panel a long time... Using the latest beta I don't see anything in Sensor Panel Manager other than the usual drive: used space, free space and utilization?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

What version of Windows are you using? Does your Windows user have administrator privileges? Also, are you sure you've performed the upgrade to the new AIDA64 beta properly? Make sure to verify that the AIDA64 version+build number is at least 5.50.3648.

Thank you. Please post a screen shot of the window that appears when you push the New button in the SensorPanel Manager. Please resize the window to make it as tall as possible, to make sure we can see the most possible sensor items of the list in there. Also make sure to scroll down in the list to make the item called SMART Status the top in the list.

Thank you. Please post a screen shot of the window that appears when you push the New button in the SensorPanel Manager. Please resize the window to make it as tall as possible, to make sure we can see the most possible sensor items of the list in there. Also make sure to scroll down in the list to make the item called SMART Status the top in the list.

I left my screen shot above, just wondering if you have any suggestions... thanks.

I left my screen shot above, just wondering if you have any suggestions... thanks.

I'm afraid we don't have any idea about what could prevent your system from providing drive activity statistics to AIDA64 :( We've done test runs on various Win8.1 systems, but on every system we could monitor drive activity without any quirks. There must be a special configuration setting or a background service/process that causes the issues on your system, but I have no idea what could it be.

I'm afraid we don't have any idea about what could prevent your system from providing drive activity statistics to AIDA64 :( We've done test runs on various Win8.1 systems, but on every system we could monitor drive activity without any quirks. There must be a special configuration setting or a background service/process that causes the issues on your system, but I have no idea what could it be.

After a lot of trial and error I found a service, O&O Syspectr was the culprit.  Disabled it and now it's working.  Thanks for your time.

• 5 months later...

Hello !

Is it possible to show disk activity read and write separately ?

Then it is possible to see if disk is being scanned (by antivirus) or encrypted by some ransomware.

For now i can only see, if disk is active. If disk is active long time, it is always suspicious. Read-write detection could be very useful.

Hello !

Is it possible to show disk activity read and write separately ?

Then it is possible to see if disk is being scanned (by antivirus) or encrypted by some ransomware.

For now i can only see, if disk is active. If disk is active long time, it is always suspicious. Read-write detection could be very useful.

Not possible, since the activity percentage is reported as idle % actually. So when e.g. it is being reported as 29% idle, AIDA64 will show 71% activity.

But how can these programs work that measure disk read and write speeds ?

Or is it at least possible to determine whether disk reads or writes ? (no percentage, just what is going on)

Something like - red light when it reads and green light when it writes. (or text or whatever is better)

You can measure disk read speed and write speed, but not as a percentage (activity) value, but the amount of data being transferred in bytes/sec. AIDA64 supports all those readings, so you don't have to rely on the activity % value. You can simply rely on the Disk N Read Speed and Disk N Write Speed values ;)