Suggestion: add serialnumber or similar to differenciate identical disks

myarmor

Hello.. this has had me a bit confused recently as both the Sensor and LCD config page doesn't display anything but

the model/name of the harddrive such as "WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0" and nothing else.

If you have two or more of the same drive, then its not easy to pinpoint which is which in those pages.

May I suggest that at least when there are identical drives, then the serialnumber (or drivenumber from "Physical drives") is added

to it, either directly or as a tooltip to differenciate them?

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Alternatively, if the drives (volumes) are named, use the drive names. For example my C:\ drive is named 'System', my second drive D:\ is named 'data'. Acronis TI, for example uses those names, which Aida ought also to be able to access easily.

I guess you're really talking about labels. Aida already uses the drivenames (as in model name), hence the issue when

having multiple identical drives.

The trouble with this one is that a disk can have multiple partitions/volumes, in other words, it might not be so good.

Which partition should it fetch the label from? I have three drives with identical labels due to same kind of content,

so it wouldn't do so good here. Relabeling them is easy, but the previous question still remains.

Using the same numbering as physical drives, or using the serialnumber of it it would be enough to uniquely know which

drive is which just by seeing them, no matter what partitions are on it or not.

We've implemented serial number indicator when multiple drives found with the same disk model ID.

Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1219sdk6ngm0yczip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks,

Fiery

We've implemented serial number indicator when multiple drives found with the same disk model ID.

Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1219sdk6ngm0yczip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks,

Fiery

Thank you Fiery, you da man!

Fast and sweet! Easy to find the right HDD to customize and relabel the OSD Drive ID!

It was such a pain to figure out which of my many HDD's had the high temp/bad sensor.

Best part, your hard work to keep the code tight is VERY much appreciated and noted!

Just as fast on loading, as this finicky customer expects... Ahh, spoiled rotten and proud of it!

After almost 5 years, you folks still make me smile!

enjoy

Just a note, my SSD does not come up on the ODS items, fine by me though.

The MoBo or SSD controller did NOT read the correct temp anyway, maybe by design...

It did show the fake SSD temp in the earlier version (pre-1.5), but I just disabled the HDD so it might have been removed earlier.

Don't ready care and I'm OK with my ignorance ;)

Thank you for your feedback ;)

Unfortunately most SSD on the market today are unable to measure disk temperature :( Even the ones where the controller supports temperature measurement (e.g. SandForce controllers), sometimes the hardware implementation lacks the diode, and/or the firmware doesn't support temperature readout :(

Thank you for your feedback ;)

Unfortunately most SSD on the market today are unable to measure disk temperature :( Even the ones where the controller supports temperature measurement (e.g. SandForce controllers), sometimes the hardware implementation lacks the diode, and/or the firmware doesn't support temperature readout :(

Compared to the WD Raptors, SSD is down right cold. IMHO, a temp sensor for SSD is moot.

Once you taste SSD speed, giving up a temp sensor is cheap at 1/2 the price.

Thank you for supporting our needs in such a timely manor.

Also, thanks to myarmor for the original request. I just got used to it, lazy I guess...