v 4.00

Arctucas

Thanks for the new version.

However, I must say I was rather disappointed to see the Chorme browser ad.

I expect that sort of thing on freeware, understanding the authors of such software need some way to offset development costs, but not on license software, especially on an exceptional application such as AIDA64.

We were sort of forced into finding other sources of revenue, due to the shrinking PC market.  If we want to keep up the pace of development, to offer more and more features, by keeping up the quality of the software, then we have to make sure our revenue wouldn't shrink along with the PC market.  Even with a more and more capable software, it's tough to convince AIDA64 users to acquire a license, and still, after so many years, only a fraction of the users are willing to acquire a license, regardless of the price tag it carries.  Hence, we have to use advertising to find other sources of revenue, and that's where Google offers come into play.  We've picked Chrome out of the many options simply because we here at FinalWire reckon Chrome is a useful and capable software.  I wouldn't wanna name other options, but all of those had annoying features, and generally speaking would have been a much less useful product for the user than Chrome.

If you are an existing customer to us, then you have several options to avoid dealing with those ads:

1) You can use the ZIP package instead of the setup package when upgrading to a new AIDA64 version.  Only the setup package implements the Google offers.

2) You can use the built-in automatic update feature of AIDA64.  It updates itself without you having to download any packages manually, as long as you have a valid license.  No downloads, no ads that way.

BTW, the Google offers have certain rules to make sure they don't become too annoying for the users.  They aren't offered everytime you launch the setup package.  I suppose you unchecked the checkbox the first time you've installed AIDA64 v4.00: now try to run the same setup package again, and you'll see that the offer will not come up anymore ;)  And even at the next AIDA64 release the offers will not come up on your system again.

Regards,

Fiery

I imagined it was something like that.

Although, I cannot believe that once someone has tried AIDA64, they are not willing to buy a license to enable full functionality, it is the absolute best software of its kind!

It is nice to know that the .zip packages will not have the Chrome ad.

Have you ever thought about offering premium licenses, such as lifetime subscriptions?

Have you ever thought about offering premium licenses, such as lifetime subscriptions?

We currently have no such plans.  Instead, we're pushing it hard to add more and more useful features to AIDA64, to make sure our existing and loyal customers would feel extending their license is justified.

I would not complain about one time ads at installation, unless it were implemented to default install software with the user HAVING to opt out (i.e. the Ask Search toolbar).

I am more concerned about the much too intimate relationship between Google and the NSA (National Security Agency - think Edward Snowden). I am not saying NSA back-doors are installed on a system running Google software, but prudence and caution require I allow for that possibility.

I live in the United States and the NSA scares the holly bejeezus out of me.

I think it's best not to believe that only a specific set of companies implemented such backdoors in their software.  IMHO all US-based software and web companies were "forced" to do so.  Or at least the ones handling a considerable amount of users data.  Being it the US Government or other countries' governments, you can be 100% sure that they monitor bad guys (and as a side-effect, good guys as well) with whatever tools and tricks they can get their hands on.  It's just a freaky post-2001 world where we have to live in ;)