Page file details may randomly glitch

Squall Leonhart

Yes, it occurs both in Build 7600(SP0) and 7601(SP1).

I can confirm that the paging file has a problem. I'm currently missing "Current/Peak Usage" & "Utilization". Using latest beta (xx.1230)this also happens in previous beta (xx.1224)but not in any versions pre .1224

It will not immediately display, but leave aida64 open for some time and the usage's will eventually show up.

then double up....

no page, it was running in the tray.

I think it may have been colliding with the threads created by a facebook app called cityville, because it only started occuring every 15 mins while that was running, and i haven't had it since closing the app.

ok, no apps running this time and it still happened.

Happened again

Checked the threads count this time, it was at 111.

restarted Aida64, and started with 4 threads, and has started growing..

i expect it might be coinciding with the point in which it would start displaying the duplicated lines in previous builds?

We've fixed the memory usage display issues on the Memory page. Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1241ow5ief2yskzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works. It may or may not help about the thread count issue.

Thanks,

Fiery

The info is now displayed but there is no activity being registered in Aida. Seems the "Current/Peak Usage & Utilization" has no movement. I have tried using Premier Pro which is a pagefile dependent, and still see no activity in Aida64. (V xx.1241). Snapshot inc shows the Pagefile "current/Peak Usage & Utilization" is fixed to 0MB & 0%.

Are you sure with over 10 GBytes of free physical memory Adobe Premiere would use pagefile? :)

Hi Fiery,

yes I'm 100% sure Adobe Prem.Pro & A.Effects uses Paging. But i do have some good news, I done a complete uninstall of Aida then reinstalled the Latest Beta, I then had Aida register activity of my pagefile. But............ I just loaded this system this morning and checked, and it seems Aida64 is not registering any activity on pagefile again. i know the page file is in use as i have placed it on another drive (scratch dsk) and i have a gadget which shows me my drive activities. Basically it's looking like Aida is randomly showing paging usage. Going to try on main system and report back.! Also fiery not sure if the following has anything to do with the problem, i have placed my Pagefile.sys onto my D: drive which is configured to raid0. 2*500gb.

Thanks

Windows 7 limits the use of the page file a great deal, it will allow system ram to fill up completely before swapping inactive but loaded content to paging.

Of which I'm fully aware off. BUT... as i stated in previous post i use Prem pro & After effects which are Pagefile dependent programs, I loaded a project (stacked with video) and i can clearly see that the pagepage is being used whilst running Prem pro. (Pagefile is assigned to a scratch disk) So Aida should be able to see this activity and clearly in my case it's not.!

AIDA64 collects pagefile info using standard Windows API call NtQuerySystemInformation (1st parameter = SystemPageFileInformation). In case it reports unexpected values on your system, it's not the fault of AIDA64.

The previous issue (when pagefile utilization lines did not display for a while) was because AIDA64 didn't bother to display "0 MB / 0 MB" lines. As soon as the utilization climbed up from zero, it displayed those lines. Now it is changed, so even zero utilization is shown.

AIDA64 collects pagefile info using standard Windows API call NtQuerySystemInformation (1st parameter = SystemPageFileInformation). In case it reports unexpected values on your system, it's not the fault of AIDA64.

The previous issue (when pagefile utilization lines did not display for a while) was because AIDA64 didn't bother to display "0 MB / 0 MB" lines. As soon as the utilization climbed up from zero, it displayed those lines. Now it is changed, so even zero utilization is shown.

Sorry Fiery, But i don't understand what you mean by "it's not Aida's fault". A few builds back i DID NOT have this problem with pagefile activity been shown in Aida. A problem gets reported by 2 users then you create a fix for the problem and now your saying that this problem is not related to Aida.? But a few builds back this was never a problem! Personally, i have not changed anything else in my system so i cant work out why it's not Aida's fault.?

Fiery pls note I'm not trying to flame an argument here just don't understand some of your comments.!

Thanks

Sorry Fiery, But i don't understand what you mean by "it's not Aida's fault". A few builds back i DID NOT have this problem with pagefile activity been shown in Aida. A problem gets reported by 2 users then you create a fix for the problem and now your saying that this problem is not related to Aida.? But a few builds back this was never a problem! Personally, i have not changed anything else in my system so i cant work out why it's not Aida's fault.?

Fiery pls note I'm not trying to flame an argument here just don't understand some of your comments.!

Thanks

What I was trying to explain above is: there're 3 separate issues there, and one out of them is not related to AIDA64:

1) The first one, reported by Squall Leonhart was about the duplicate lines appearing after a while. We've already fixed that.

2) The second one, reported by you was about the missing utilization lines. It was due to AIDA64 did not bother displaying 0 MB / 0 MB and 0% lines. We've already changed that approach to displaying every lines even when they display no meaningful information. So even zero utilization is displayed now. We consider this issue fixed too.

3) The third one, reported by you was about zero paging file utilization reported by AIDA64 while using Adobe Premiere Pro. I've pointed to the fact that AIDA64 reports paging file information using standard Windows API calls. It's a kind of information that comes from Windows itself, and not processed or measured or computed or altered by AIDA64. If you don't like those values, or in case you simply don't believe in those values, then you have to find the error in the way Windows reports pagefile usage, and not try to find a bug in AIDA64 :) In case you're adament that previous betas reported "better" values, then please try to downgrade to an older beta, and show us on a screen shot what values did it report. But if you do so, then please also create a screen shot right after that, using the latest beta, for comparison. However, apart from issue#1 and issue#2, I'm 100% sure every previous AIDA64 beta and stable releases will report the very same values that the latest AIDA64 beta does.

1) The first one, reported by Squall Leonhart was about the duplicate lines appearing after a while. We've already fixed that.

It seems, as long as i leave the Memory pane selected, it will crash or report a threading error after a period of time (average is around 45min) if i switch to any other pane there's no problem and aida works perfectly normally.

Here you go Fiery, Capture1 shows latest Beta with NO activity on pagefile. Capture2 shows Aida v1.2.xx with pagefile activity info being shown except the utilization info.

Thanks. I'm sorry to be a pain in the back, but can you please do another test run, by creating 3 screen shots:

1) First, with the latest AIDA64 beta

2) Then, with the old AIDA64 version (v1.20)

3) Then, with the latest AIDA64 beta again

I'm just asking that, because there's a noticable difference between swap space usage on the 2 screen shots you created, and I suspect between the time the first shot was captured and the time the second shot was captured, Windows simply started to use up the swap space, and hence started using the paging file.

We've double-checked everything about the paging file utilization, and found no issues or anomalies at all. I still reckon you have no problems on your system, or at least nothing that would be related to AIDA64.

It seems, as long as i leave the Memory pane selected, it will crash or report a threading error after a period of time (average is around 45min) if i switch to any other pane there's no problem and aida works perfectly normally.

That's a 4th issue then :) Please let us know which AIDA64 Hardware Monitoring features do you have enabled. E.g. Sidebar, LCD, OSD, or a combination of those?