Fluctuating GPU clock and power draw

Hi,

1) I noticed that the graphs of the iGPU's power draw (GT cores) is fluctuating.

Is this supposed to be like this when stressing it, without any other graphic cards in the system?

It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/Ji72zII.png

2) Also, if I enable energysaving (standby/deepstandby) options for the iGPU (RC6 or so), the clock graph looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/AAUKz2I.png

As you can see, the clock is changing between its minimum and maximum value.

If I disable said options it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/wtcFhFo.png

Im kind of confused since even when I enable energysaving options for the CPU, the clock is always a straight line under full load.

Could you maybe assure me that all these graphs shown in the pictures are how they actually are supposed to be?

Thanks in advance!

Regards

The graphs look fine and normal. AIDA64 uses OpenCL kernels to stress the GPU (or GPUs). Currently OpenCL is tied to the video driver, and queuing and job prioritization is not really sophisticated in current OpenCL implementations by AMD, Intel and nVIDIA. It will take a few more years for those companies to finally decouple OpenCL from the video driver and make OpenCL a lot more useful and a lot more dependable than now. Because right now, as you can see, passing a new job to the OpenCL implementation takes too much time, and during that time the iGPU may switch power states. This whole issue is a limitation of OpenCL that cannot be fixed from those software that utilizes OpenCL for either computational or stress testing purposes.

Regards,

Fiery

The graphs look fine and normal. AIDA64 uses OpenCL kernels to stress the GPU (or GPUs). Currently OpenCL is tied to the video driver, and queuing and job prioritization is not really sophisticated in current OpenCL implementations by AMD, Intel and nVIDIA. It will take a few more years for those companies to finally decouple OpenCL from the video driver and make OpenCL a lot more useful and a lot more dependable than now. Because right now, as you can see, passing a new job to the OpenCL implementation takes too much time, and during that time the iGPU may switch power states. This whole issue is a limitation of OpenCL that cannot be fixed from those software that utilizes OpenCL for either computational or stress testing purposes.

Regards,

Fiery

Hi, thanks for your response!

I played around in the BIOS a bit, en- and disabling energysaving options like those in the picture I attached.
However, no matter whether I leave it on or off, the only thing that seems to change while stressing the Intel HD4000 in AIDA is the clockrate being constant when disabling those options,
the power consumptions always stays "shivering".
I already looked in Intel's datasheet but couldnt find anything on how it is supposed to look under full load.
The reason I'm asking is because when stressing CPU and/or FPU only, the CPU IA Cores power consumption is a pretty much straight line, that's why I was assuming it should be the same for the iGPU.

Can I still consider my system stable after 24h of FPU + GPU (iGPU in my case) stress, even though I am kind of irritated by this whole thing?

Thanks!

post-29959-0-86319500-1424789228_thumb.jpg

post-29959-0-67521700-1424789235_thumb.jpg

post-29959-0-98032600-1424789241_thumb.jpg