AIDA64 Extreme: Lock OSD to desktop

KyrreS

I was wondering if it is possible to lock the OSD to the dekstop.

By this I mean that when I press "show desktop" to minimize all my active windows, I want the OSD to remain on the desktop. This shud not be minimized with the rest.

Anybody know if this can be done?

Ver. 5.00.3300

A nice feature would be the possibility to set the SensorPanel as the BottomMost window on the desktop. I.e. the panel would act like a part of the desktop background itself, it wouldn't interfere with any Window on the desktop, would never obstruct any other window and wouldn't minimize when using Windows-D either. 

This can be achieved using the user32.dll. You have to use FindWindow("ProgMan") and use the returned handle as the parent of your own Window (in this case the SensorPanel). 

Here's an example for WPF/C#, but you can certainly adapt that to every other programming environment: 

http://www.tsql.de/tag/setparent

And while I'm at it: Another great option would be to set the SensorPanel's background as transparent. That way you could place the elements freely on the desktop as you need them without obstructing the wallpaper.

This can be achieved using the user32.dll. You have to use FindWindow("ProgMan") and use the returned handle as the parent of your own Window (in this case the SensorPanel).

We've tried that, but it didn't help to prevent minimizing SensorPanel with Windows key + D. AIDA64 Preferences already implements a Prevent SensorPanel from being minimized option. That's all we could do about this issue.

And while I'm at it: Another great option would be to set the SensorPanel's background as transparent. That way you could place the elements freely on the desktop as you need them without obstructing the wallpaper.

As I've explained before, transparency for the SensorPanel is not possible. You can however take the wallpaper, slice out a portion of it and put it as the SensorPanel background image, to imitate a transparency effect. Many users went down that path and use SensorPanel with good results.

We've tried that, but it didn't help to prevent minimizing SensorPanel with Windows key + D. AIDA64 Preferences already implements a Prevent SensorPanel from being minimized option. That's all we could do about this issue.

Strange, as it's supposed to do that (but I never tried it myself, to be honest).

Still it would make the window bottom-most which would have it's own advantages (never obscuring any other window) and behaving like being part of the desktop itself.

As I've explained before, transparency for the SensorPanel is not possible. You can however take the wallpaper, slice out a portion of it and put it as the SensorPanel background image, to imitate a transparency effect. Many users went down that path and use SensorPanel with good results.

Sorry, I missed that explanation (and I can't find it in this thread either ;) ).

I don't want to intrude, especially since I don't know how you implemented the SensorPanel, but I'd like to point out that it is possible to define a transparent color key for standard windows:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997507.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

It would not be possible to make the background be transparent just like that, but the user could select a color of his choice to be transparent, and where ever this color is used in the SensorPanel (on the background for example) the window would become transparent.

If this doesn't work for you for some reason, then please don't be offended by me making that suggestion... :)

Using transparent color key is an old thing that looks terrible in most cases. Unless of course you use a square object on your SensorPanel, and everything around that object would need to be transparent. But then it would be much like having no transparency at all, since the SensorPanel is also a square object and everything around it is transparent :)

Trust me, we've put a lot of thought into those things, and whatever we could try, we've tried already. What we've got in AIDA64 v5.00 (latest version) is what we can do about those issues.