CPU temperature on Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3

pck1980

Hi,

I'm using the latest stable version of AIDA64 to monitor the system temperatures on my PC (Ryzen 1800X on Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3). Today, I noticed that AIDA64 shows strange values for the CPU temp, which I think started with a BIOS update from F2 to F4.

CPU Diode seems to show the same temperature as AMD's Ryzen Master, but with a 20-degree offset (which is intended for the 1800X, but the latest update of Ryzen Master removed that offset). The second CPU temperature AIDA64 shows (simply labled 'CPU') however is now completely messed up: When the system is idle, it sometimes goes down to values below 20 degrees Celsius.

It seems to me that it is always some 15 degrees below the temperature shown by Ryzen Master (which hopefully is the real one) and thus approx. 35 degrees below the value shown under 'CPU diode'.

It would be great if 'CPU' would show the real temperature (again) and if the 20-degree offset was removed from 'CPU diode'.

The latest AIDA64 beta applies the -20 Celsius offset on the CPU Diode temperature reading for Ryzen 1600X, 1700X and 1800X processors.  We merely follow AMD's recommendation on how to handle the Tctl based temperature readings.  You can override that offset if you want, in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Hardware Monitoring / Correction.  On that page you can also override the "CPU" temperature reading as well, BTW.

As for the "CPU" temperature reading, that one comes from the motherboard sensor chip.  The reading coming from that source depends on how BIOS configures the sensor chip at bootup.  Gigabyte never requested us to implement an offset for that reading, so we show the raw value as it comes from the sensor chip.

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you already know when the next stable update will be released that will include these changes?

Considering the CPU temperature, it seems that Gigabyte messed up something. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell which value the BIOS shows, as the CPU tends to get hotter there anyway. I'll have to have a look directly after system startup.

On ‎2017‎. ‎04‎. ‎17‎. at 0:44 PM, pck1980 said:

Thank you for the quick reply. Do you already know when the next stable update will be released that will include these changes?

Considering the CPU temperature, it seems that Gigabyte messed up something. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell which value the BIOS shows, as the CPU tends to get hotter there anyway. I'll have to have a look directly after system startup.

The next AIDA64 stable update is scheduled for May or June, although there are many factors that could delay that release, for example the recent changes in AMD and Intel CPU roadmaps.  But please note that our beta builds are considered "quite stable", so you should give the latest one a chance ;)

• 2 months later...
On 19.4.2017 at 3:30 PM, Fiery said:

The next AIDA64 stable update is scheduled for May or June, although there are many factors that could delay that release, for example the recent changes in AMD and Intel CPU roadmaps.  But please note that our beta builds are considered "quite stable", so you should give the latest one a chance ;)

Thank you for your reply. With the latest update, it seems that the "CPU diode" value doesn't include this offset any more. :-)

But for some reason, the "CPU" value is still 15 degrees below "CPU diode" (as it was with the previous version of AIDA64), so I'm now getting values of around 20 degrees here.

In other words: The value reported by the motherboard seems to have changed with the latest version of AIDA64 as well, which seems kinda odd...

On ‎2017‎. ‎06‎. ‎20‎. at 10:50 PM, pck1980 said:

Thank you for your reply. With the latest update, it seems that the "CPU diode" value doesn't include this offset any more. :-)

But for some reason, the "CPU" value is still 15 degrees below "CPU diode" (as it was with the previous version of AIDA64), so I'm now getting values of around 20 degrees here.

In other words: The value reported by the motherboard seems to have changed with the latest version of AIDA64 as well, which seems kinda odd...

We don't use an offset for the "CPU" value.  AIDA64 should show the same value that Gigabyte's own monitoring software displays as "CPU" temperature.

I don't have the Gigabyte software installed, so I can't tell what it reports. I'm just wondering that the CPU value is still 15 degrees below "CPU diode", despite the offset Ryzen adds to the temperature is now corrected.

Perhaps the latest BIOS update will fix this, but I still have to install it ;-)