Windows 10 Spring Creators Update 1803 causing system crash (Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH + i7-6700K + GTX1080Ti + Win10 B17134) [Win10 1803 timer collision]

TimFx

Thank you for your interest. sometimes in windows 10 startup, sometimes the system crashes at random.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: Turkish (Regional Setting: Turkish)
Page File: 10552MB used, 22175MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHz (Corsair H110) 
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (Bios F21)
Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme WaterForce
Sound Blaster Z,
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W 80 Platinum 220V
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (512GB)
Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
AsusRog Swift PG278Q
3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses
Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse ,Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum

Ekran Alıntısı.JPG

On ‎2018‎. ‎05‎. ‎13‎. at 1:55 PM, TimFx said:

Thank you for your interest. sometimes in windows 10 startup, sometimes the system crashes at random.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: Turkish (Regional Setting: Turkish)
Page File: 10552MB used, 22175MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHz (Corsair H110) 
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (Bios F21)
Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme WaterForce
Sound Blaster Z,
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W 80 Platinum 220V
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (512GB)
Samsung 860 Evo (1TB)
AsusRog Swift PG278Q
3D Vision 2 Wireless Glasses
Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse ,Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum

Thank you for the details.  We suspect it can be due to the video driver, so if it's possible, please try to downgrade ForceWare, to a late-2017 WHQL release, 388.31 for example.  Let me know if it makes a difference.  If not, please post a screen shot showing the error message that comes up when AIDA64 crashes.

Having the same issue here, aida64 will crash experience shell host & desktop window manager. Older video drivers do not help and there is no error message from aida64 itself. Running windows 1709 this does not happen but in 1803 it does.

Edit: Running the following hardware;

GTX 1080
R7 1800x
Asrock x370 Professional gaming with P4.40 PinnaclePi uefi
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance b-die DDR4
Multiple SSD's

Cleaning up video drivers with DDU does not help either, only thing that prevents the crashing is not running Aida64 at all. The only error message i can dig up is the following from event viewer;

Event 4101
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, Tellus said:

Having the same issue here, aida64 will crash experience shell host & desktop window manager. Older video drivers do not help and there is no error message from aida64 itself. Running windows 1709 this does not happen but in 1803 it does.

Edit: Running the following hardware;

GTX 1080
R7 1800x
Asrock x370 Professional gaming with P4.40 PinnaclePi uefi
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance b-die DDR4
Multiple SSD's

Cleaning up video drivers with DDU does not help either, only thing that prevents the crashing is not running Aida64 at all. The only error message i can dig up is the following from event viewer;

Event 4101
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

We still believe the issue is with the video driver (ForceWare) and not AIDA64.  Try to downgrade to an older ForceWare release, and check if it helps.  I know you've mentioned that you've tried that path with no success, but maybe you've downgraded to a too recent version that already has the bug?  For others 388.31 solved the issues:

On 5/30/2018 at 6:16 PM, Fiery said:

We still believe the issue is with the video driver (ForceWare) and not AIDA64.  Try to downgrade to an older ForceWare release, and check if it helps.  I know you've mentioned that you've tried that path with no success, but maybe you've downgraded to a too recent version that already has the bug?  For others 388.31 solved the issues:

Yeah i have tried earlier drivers still with the exact same result, this is however not limited to Aida, HWiNFO64 behaves in a similar way and so does other cpu/mb HW monitoring SW as well. Some from the HWiNFO side (their users) claim its due to polling of a bus frequency that freaks out software in 1803 but if there is any truth to that i don't know. For now i'm using no HW monitoring at all and everything is running perfectly with no issues at all regardless of videodriver but as soon as i run some kind of HW monitoring for cpu/mb it freaks out regardless of video driver. I have even had this exact same behavior with an intel gpu on a different system. Bit sad though since i even purchased a new license for aida just to see if an upgrade helped but obviously it didn't.

A sure fire way to get this lockup is to run chrome and browse the web for a while, places like facebook (i know, i know...) seem to speed up the frequency of events, this while using monitoring SW

Edit: Tried to disable "periodic polling" under "CPU clock measurement" in HWiNFO64 and it stopped the crashing.

• 3 weeks later...

We believe we've found the root cause of the issues concerning Windows 10 April 2018 Update (Version 1803 / Build 17134) based systems.  The timer that AIDA64 uses for BCLK measurement is also used by a new Win10 component.  Most likely that component is used for GPU profiling.  And when AIDA64 and Win10 both use the timer for their own purposes in the same time, the system could become unstable.  We've had to disable polling for BCLK, so from now on AIDA64 will only measure BCLK once, and then use the last value until AIDA64 gets restarted.  Here's the new AIDA64 beta build that includes the workaround:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

• 4 months later...

this way the system crashes.  first, the system becomes unstable.. sometimes by closing the aida64 application, I get rid of the crash.

ddr.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this setting it works fine.

qqq.jpg

39 minutes ago, TimFx said:

this way the system crashes.  first, the system becomes unstable.. sometimes by closing the aida64 application, I get rid of the crash.

ddr.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this setting it works fine.

qqq.jpg

Make sure to enable nVIDIA GPU SMBus access through nVIDIA ForceWare, which is the default setting.

• 1 month later...