nvme SSD RAID0 temp

Arctucas

20 hours ago, Arctucas said:

I have noticed that the latest version, 5.97.4687 BETA, reports the temp of the nvme drives, but it appears to be incorrect.

5.97.4679 BETA appears to report the correct temps.

We've reverted back to using the primary thermal reading as opposed to the maximum reading of all thermal readings.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, Arctucas said:

Would you please explain what that means?

All NVMe SSDs (and most SATA SSDs, and most HDDs as well) have a primary thermal reading that is shown and monitored by basically all hardware monitoring software, and used as a basis of thermal throttling by SSD controllers.  Certain NVMe SSDs (like Samsung 960 and 970 Series) have additional thermal readings (e.g. "Temperature Sensor 1" and "Temperature Sensor 2") that -- as some folks claim -- show the temperature of the memory and memory controller components of the SSD.  Before Beta Build 4678 AIDA64 used the primary thermal reading as the temperature of the device.  Following a user request, in Beta Build 4678 we've switched to using the highest thermal reading of them all as the device temperature.  Then some users started to complain and argue about the validity of that solution, and expressed their concerns that all other software use the primary thermal reading.  It's something that you can debate, of course.  But since we've got one request (one vote basically) for the highest reading solution and many requests (votes) to switch back to the old solution, we've opted to go with the masses and put things back as they were in AIDA64 Beta Build 4681.

As I understand it the second sensor is real and different.

I  saw an comment that it is the cache memory temperature. (you will note that Magician does not support Rapid Mode for this SSD, that is, does not reserve a piece of main memory).

And though temp 1 does not spike and rarely goes above 60C, the cache temp can spike way high under load some in 90C range.

I have not seen more than a passing comment on this, but if this is so, the cache temperature would seem to need to be highlighted.

60°C and 90°C?

Those are crazy high temps.

Using 4679 BETA; I get 54°C and 58°C running the Stress Local Disks test for five minutes. (Second sensor.)

Using 4687 BETA; I get 31°C and 32°C running the Stress Local Disks test for five minutes. (First sensor.)

Not really all you have to do is set up some serious copying between two nvme media. In my case between an Optane 900p and a Samsung 970. The copy speed goes to about 1.85GB per second, and Sensor 1 goes to about 40C and Sensor 2 to about 49C. Full NTFS format ( not quick) is even more punishing.

If you put the files above into subdirectories and copy and paste them the speed drops to about 1.52GB/sec I guess more checking.  

The Aida random read test is far far too slow for example, it putters at about 150MB/s and gets the temps to 31C 36C.

With harddrives of course you have read after write on your side so the checking somewhat hides; whereas with SSD it is real and drops the speed.