Asus Prime X470-Pro fan logic reverses with AIDA64 running.

Rockstonicko

So I'm about at my wits end with this, this is such a bizarre issue. I've already submitted a ticket to Asus about this and they are "researching" why this is happening for the last 2 days but I've heard nothing back yet, so I figured I'd do the same for AIDA64 and see if there are any answers/suggestions/solutions or jokes to ease my insanity.

AIDA64 Extreme ver. 6.10.5200 is the only hardware monitoring application I'm using as I've read multiple monitoring apps can cause the ITE IT8665E Super IO chip to bug out. (Among 1000 other things, is this thing just garbage or what?)

I'm also using the Logitech LCD configuration in AIDA64 to display temperatures/clockspeeds/VRM current/power/etc. basically all the important information I can fit spread between 4 pages on my Logitech LCD. However, I'm not monitoring fan speeds on my LCD just in case that's causing an issue.

After anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours, the fans I have connected to motherboard headers will stop spinning. After doing some experimentation and attempting to control the fans after they have stopped, I've figured out that the fan logic is randomly inverting. That is, 100% fan speed becomes 0%, and 0% becomes 100%, 66% fan speed becomes 34% fan speed etc. So after it happens, I can set the fans to 0% and they will spin back up to 100%, or to 34% and they will spin back up to 66%. So I have some form of solution, albeit not an ideal one.

I've also noticed that once the logic reverse happens, the fan sensor values in AIDA64 either freeze at their reported value, or they just show 0 RPM depending on how it's feeling at that particular instance. If I'm not running AIDA64 this will not happen, but it's an inevitability whenever AIDA64 is running. Rebooting the PC or sleep/resume will correct the issue for another 15 minutes to 2 hours.

Here are the only options I have enabled in the stability section of AIDA64:

1. Load Kernel driver
  2. Low-Level MSR
  3. Low-Level PCI
  4. Low-Level SMBus
  5. Low-Level sensor
  6. Low-Level SMART
  7. SMBus access through ACPI
  8. GPU Sensor Support

I have disabled Asus WMI sensor support because I read that can solve the issue, but it hasn't helped.

This is also the second fresh install of Windows 10 on this machine, and it has happened during both installs. I'm on the latest 5220 BIOS, and changing all of the parameters of Q-Fan in the BIOS doesn't seem to have any effect.

Specs:

• MB: Asus Prime X470-Pro
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • SSD's: Samsung 860 EVO 256GB + Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
  • HDD's: Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital Blue 1TB
  • PSU: Enermax Triathlor Eco 1000W

1 hour ago, Rockstonicko said:

So I'm about at my wits end with this, this is such a bizarre issue. I've already submitted a ticket to Asus about this and they are "researching" why this is happening for the last 2 days but I've heard nothing back yet, so I figured I'd do the same for AIDA64 and see if there are any answers/suggestions/solutions or jokes to ease my insanity.

AIDA64 Extreme ver. 6.10.5200 is the only hardware monitoring application I'm using as I've read multiple monitoring apps can cause the ITE IT8665E Super IO chip to bug out. (Among 1000 other things, is this thing just garbage or what?)

I'm also using the Logitech LCD configuration in AIDA64 to display temperatures/clockspeeds/VRM current/power/etc. basically all the important information I can fit spread between 4 pages on my Logitech LCD. However, I'm not monitoring fan speeds on my LCD just in case that's causing an issue.

After anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours, the fans I have connected to motherboard headers will stop spinning. After doing some experimentation and attempting to control the fans after they have stopped, I've figured out that the fan logic is randomly inverting. That is, 100% fan speed becomes 0%, and 0% becomes 100%, 66% fan speed becomes 34% fan speed etc. So after it happens, I can set the fans to 0% and they will spin back up to 100%, or to 34% and they will spin back up to 66%. So I have some form of solution, albeit not an ideal one.

I've also noticed that once the logic reverse happens, the fan sensor values in AIDA64 either freeze at their reported value, or they just show 0 RPM depending on how it's feeling at that particular instance. If I'm not running AIDA64 this will not happen, but it's an inevitability whenever AIDA64 is running. Rebooting the PC or sleep/resume will correct the issue for another 15 minutes to 2 hours.

Here are the only options I have enabled in the stability section of AIDA64:

1. Load Kernel driver
  2. Low-Level MSR
  3. Low-Level PCI
  4. Low-Level SMBus
  5. Low-Level sensor
  6. Low-Level SMART
  7. SMBus access through ACPI
  8. GPU Sensor Support

I have disabled Asus WMI sensor support because I read that can solve the issue, but it hasn't helped.

This is also the second fresh install of Windows 10 on this machine, and it has happened during both installs. I'm on the latest 5220 BIOS, and changing all of the parameters of Q-Fan in the BIOS doesn't seem to have any effect.

Specs:

• MB: Asus Prime X470-Pro
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • SSD's: Samsung 860 EVO 256GB + Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
  • HDD's: Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital Blue 1TB
  • PSU: Enermax Triathlor Eco 1000W

On Asus AM4 systems it's safer with the Asus WMI sensor support enabled.  Without it concurrent access by AIDA64 and the motherboard BIOS can cause collisions that may just end up in fan duty cycles messing up.

Please note that even though the new Asus WMI ACPI interface was invented and designed to avoid those collisions that plagued the Asus AM4 platform since the very beginning, the interface is poorly implemented in multiple Asus motherboards.  It is also not implemented all across the board.  So while it's a great thing in theory, in practice it causes a lot of headaches.  All you can do is put more pressure on Asus to fix this issue in a future BIOS update.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the fast reply. I've not seen that anyone else has discovered that the fan logic is reversing when it's being monitored, so perhaps if we're lucky, maybe this will be new information for Asus's software engineers and this will move them towards a solution.

I will re-enable WMI sensor support. Do you mind if I send your response, or a link to this thread to Asus support?

I refuse to use my PC without AIDA's monitoring features. It's the best, and there is simply nothing else even close to the AMAZING built in customization for the Logitech LCD.

2 minutes ago, Rockstonicko said:

Thank you for the fast reply. I've not seen that anyone else has discovered that the fan logic is reversing when it's being monitored, so perhaps if we're lucky, maybe this will be new information for Asus's software engineers and this will move them towards a solution.

I will re-enable WMI sensor support. Do you mind if I send your response, or a link to this thread to Asus support?

I refuse to use my PC without AIDA's monitoring features. It's the best, and there is simply nothing else even close to the AMAZING built in customization for the Logitech LCD.

Feel free to share this topic with anyone.

I'm glad you like using AIDA64.  I wish we could do more to fix this issue and issues about monitoring Asus AM4 motherboards internally.  But with the whole thing riding on how Asus implements the WMI ACPI interface, we need to work with Asus and expect them to deliver the fix soon.

• Thanks 1

Okay, so for anyone else experiencing issues using AIDA64 to monitor Asus X470 boards, I asked Asus if I could post their reply, and received no response to the request. So I'm going to assume that means it's fine:

"Our Engineers provided a response on the issue as per our Engineering Team, Please tinker with AI suite 3 FanXpert to avoid re occurrence, The best way is to adjust the fan curve manually to prevent over fan speeds. and kindly confirm if by doing that it prevented any occurrence of the issue."

The engineers response was to "tinker" with AI Suite. I think I will "tinker" with an MSI board from now on.

I will be contacting GamersNexus, Der8auer, and Buildzoid, and seeing if we can round up anyone else experiencing a similar issue to try and give Asus more of a prerogative to further address this.

Thanks again Fiery for the great support and all the wonderful work you do! I will edit this post if I hear anything else back from them, but I don't think Asus is currently too concerned about fixing this.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:53 PM, Rockstonicko said:

Okay, so for anyone else experiencing issues using AIDA64 to monitor Asus X470 boards, I asked Asus if I could post their reply, and received no response to the request. So I'm going to assume that means it's fine:

"Our Engineers provided a response on the issue as per our Engineering Team, Please tinker with AI suite 3 FanXpert to avoid re occurrence, The best way is to adjust the fan curve manually to prevent over fan speeds. and kindly confirm if by doing that it prevented any occurrence of the issue."

The engineers response was to "tinker" with AI Suite. I think I will "tinker" with an MSI board from now on.

I will be contacting GamersNexus, Der8auer, and Buildzoid, and seeing if we can round up anyone else experiencing a similar issue to try and give Asus more of a prerogative to further address this.

Thanks again Fiery for the great support and all the wonderful work you do! I will edit this post if I hear anything else back from them, but I don't think Asus is currently too concerned about fixing this.

Thank you for posting their response. Sadly in the past 10 or so years many hardware manufacturers just piled on existing technologies to unlock new sensor readings and new tricks (like putting RGB LEDs onto and into everything), without ever re-thinking the way sensor monitoring and interacting with hardware should work in the 21st century.  With Ice Lake and Tiger Lake desktop platforms things will hopefully change though, so fingers crossed for Asus and others to come up with a more modern solution that causes less headaches not only to them but to all of us, including hardware owners, enthusiasts and software engineers as well.

• 7 months later...

Hello Rockstonicko, I am experiencing the exact same issue with ASUS Strix X-370 and AIDA64. I have tried disabling all ASUS services installed by AI Suite but it still happens. Maybe uninstalling AI Suite completely would help, however i still need it as I often change between fan curves (custom when gamings and silent for anything else)

Have you found any solution yet?

Maybe setting my PWM fans to DC mode in BIOS will solve the issue?

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2020 at 12:41 PM, Warlord1981 said:

Hello Rockstonicko, I am experiencing the exact same issue with ASUS Strix X-370 and AIDA64. I have tried disabling all ASUS services installed by AI Suite but it still happens. Maybe uninstalling AI Suite completely would help, however i still need it as I often change between fan curves (custom when gamings and silent for anything else)

Have you found any solution yet?

Maybe setting my PWM fans to DC mode in BIOS will solve the issue?

Sorry I didn't see your response until now.

Unfortunately I abandoned AIDA64 with ASUS. I haven't tried testing again with the newest versions of both AIDA and the recent AGESA BIOS update on my board, but I will probably give it a go at some point. I don't have a ton of confidence in ASUS, so I suspect the situation will be the same indefinitely.

I was never able to find a solution to the problem, and had to move on to using HWiNFO64. Nothing I did in the BIOS changed the behavior. I tried all manner of combinations including completely disabling the fan sensors, disabling the temp sensors, tried combinations of PWM/DC, changing the temperature the sensor was referencing, and I had no results.

I'd list all the things I tried, but it would be a huge list, so let's just say "everything." Been building PC's for 18 years and have fair bit of experience, and I've rarely had a problem with a build defeat me, so it's very annoying to say the least.

• 1 year later...