M.2 SSD allowed higher OC for i7 8700k

Long time licensed owner of Aida64 Extreme. Current version: AIDA64 v6.10.5200. Benchmark Module 4.5.811-x64 (recently upgraded)

Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post.  I am a senior citizen (tech-head like most of you) and wanted to share an interesting experience that happened to me today as I was experimenting with OCing my i7 8700k after upgrading from a SATA III Samsung SSD 860 EVO to an M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD.

Let's start off the Aida64 FPU Stress Test.  This test is for extreme overclockers who use full water cooled systems or use liquid nitrogen to acheive incredibly high CPU overclocks.  For fun and knowing my system would crash, I tested my new OC of the CPU at 5Ghz per core.  About 10 seconds into the FPU stress test the CPU overheated and the system crashed - as expected.

Now to real life Stability Testing.   My CPU is nicely cooled with a Noctua D15 CPU Cooler. A giant of an air cooler.  My normal, very stable overclock runs at 4.8Ghz.  Never overheating during any stress test or demanding PC Video Gaming and Video Production.

Now here's the surprising experience I had today.  After migrating my Primary drive with W10 OS and all installed programs from the Sata III 870 SSD to the M.2 970 SSD I decided to go into the UEFI BIOS and simply set the multipliers from 48 to 50.  I ran all stress test (excluding FPU) and amazingly I was stable at 5Ghz!  I can only attribute this to the new speed of the M.2 SSD.  There is nothing new in my system, BIOS was updated to the latest version two months ago and all things you see below in these screenshot are what I purchased when I built this Desktop PC in 2018-2019.

I am curious if anyone with a similar build has tried overclocking their particular CPU after installing an M.2 SSD and found the would increase their CPU performance to a higher GHz and keep it stable.

I endorse Aida64 for all my benchmarking needs. I enjoy building a new Desktop PC every five years and have done so for 15 years. That's three new builds using Aida64 Extreme as my Stress Tester and Benchmarker.

NOTE:  Cinebench R20 crashed my system at 5Ghz.  I lowered the multiplier to 49 and ran it again.  It did not crash the system.

Idle System in the screenies below:  (gaming or heavy loads show average of 55 to 68 Celsius)

overclock.JPG

sensors.JPG

Edited by supertweaker
added information

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:49 AM, supertweaker said:

Long time licensed owner of Aida64 Extreme. Current version: AIDA64 v6.10.5200. Benchmark Module 4.5.811-x64 (recently upgraded)

Hello everyone. I am new here and this is my first post.  I am a senior citizen (tech-head like most of you) and wanted to share an interesting experience that happened to me today as I was experimenting with OCing my i7 8700k after upgrading from a SATA III Samsung SSD 860 EVO to an M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD.

Let's start off the Aida64 FPU Stress Test.  This test is for extreme overclockers who use full water cooled systems or use liquid nitrogen to acheive incredibly high CPU overclocks.  For fun and knowing my system would crash, I tested my new OC of the CPU at 5Ghz per core.  About 10 seconds into the FPU stress test the CPU overheated and the system crashed - as expected.

Now to real life Stability Testing.   My CPU is nicely cooled with a Noctua D15 CPU Cooler. A giant of an air cooler.  My normal, very stable overclock runs at 4.8Ghz.  Never overheating during any stress test or demanding PC Video Gaming and Video Production.

Now here's the surprising experience I had today.  After migrating my Primary drive with W10 OS and all installed programs from the Sata III 870 SSD to the M.2 970 SSD I decided to go into the UEFI BIOS and simply set the multipliers from 48 to 50.  I ran all stress test (excluding FPU) and amazingly I was stable at 5Ghz!  I can only attribute this to the new speed of the M.2 SSD.  There is nothing new in my system, BIOS was updated to the latest version two months ago and all things you see below in these screenshot are what I purchased when I built this Desktop PC in 2018-2019.

I am curious if anyone with a similar build has tried overclocking their particular CPU after installing an M.2 SSD and found the would increase their CPU performance to a higher GHz and keep it stable.

I endorse Aida64 for all my benchmarking needs. I enjoy building a new Desktop PC every five years and have done so for 15 years. That's three new builds using Aida64 Extreme as my Stress Tester and Benchmarker.

NOTE:  Cinebench R20 crashed my system at 5Ghz.  I lowered the multiplier to 49 and ran it again.  It did not crash the system.

Idle System in the screenies below:  (gaming or heavy loads show average of 55 to 68 Celsius)

Thank you for being a faithful customer to us and a wholehearted AIDA64 user.  That's an intruiging phenomenon indeed.  My guess would be not so much the speed of the new SSD that makes a difference, but maybe the lower power draw and lower thermal output of it.

• Thanks 1