Asus Rampage IV Extreme

tistou77

The mentioned temperatures are only available via bank switching on the EC (Embedded Controller) chip of Rampage IV Extreme. However, switching the bank on the EC may cause a system crash or BSoD if other software or the BIOS also communicates with the EC. Hence we cannot risk of a bank switching as long as Asus refuses to implement synchronizing in their software (AI Suite). We've already contacted them about that, but they don't seem to care about 3rd party software :(

Hi Fiery,

Support "Asus France" I was told they were not aware of this problem, and he had no return...

you could add to AIDA64 its probes, with a warning that there may be conflicts?

Pending Asus make the neccessary

I do not really want to install AI Suite and not to use AIDA64 :(

Asus has several branches and labs worldwide. Just because one of those labs know about the conflict between AI Suite and other monitoring software (but refuse to act on it) doesn't mean any other branches get the "memo" :)

I'm sorry, but we cannot implement the readings on Rampage IV Extreme that require bank switching until Asus implements the synchronization mutexes all other monitoring software use. The most important synchronization mutexes in question are:

Access_ISABUS.HTP.Method (for ISA sensor access, including Super I/O chip access)

Access_SMBUS.HTP.Method (for SMBus access)

Access_EC (for Embedded Controller access --> this is the most important one for Rampage IV Extreme)

If you could get Asus to implement those mutexes in AI Suite, you would make the whole monitoring software developers community (including the authors of HWiNFO, HWMonitor, SIV, SpeedFan, etc) very happy ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I have an ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME - Z M/board so I suppose this problem also pertains to me also.

I have no fan speeds other than CPU, PSU and 2 Chassis fans showing, the other 3 on board fans are not showing at all.

Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

Then right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> SMBus Dump (Full). Copy-paste the full results into this topic.

Thanks,

Fiery

Thank you. We've checked the dumps, and all 5 fan speeds seem to be properly measured by AIDA64. Are you sure they're not on the Computer / Sensor page? Please note that Opt1 fan speed will be shown as Fan #1 and Opt2 will be shown as Fan #2.

Thanks Fiery,

What appears to happen is that Fan 1, 2 and 3 seem to dissappear until I reboot then they show and soon after they dissappear again.

I also had the CPU TEMP showing 34 Deg C (NORMAL) then shooting up to 196 Deg C (THIS BEING A FALSE READING) this also corrected itself on reboot, then 5 minutes later went back to 196 Deg.

I have uninstalled the ASUS A1 Suite and now all seems to be OK.

AIDA64 does not seem to be the problem so I shall leave the ASUS A1 Suite off my system for a few days to make sure what I have just said still holds up.

Regards

JJF

Thanks Fiery,

What appears to happen is that Fan 1, 2 and 3 seem to dissappear until I reboot then they show and soon after they dissappear again.

I also had the CPU TEMP showing 34 Deg C (NORMAL) then shooting up to 196 Deg C (THIS BEING A FALSE READING) this also corrected itself on reboot, then 5 minutes later went back to 196 Deg.

I have uninstalled the ASUS A1 Suite and now all seems to be OK.

AIDA64 does not seem to be the problem so I shall leave the ASUS A1 Suite off my system for a few days to make sure what I have just said still holds up.

Regards

JJF

Thanks for the info. It seems to be the well-known event of low-level hardware calls of AI Suite colliding with similar calls of AIDA64 :( If you leave AI Suite off your system, it should be fine.

Fiery

I understood that you could do a version of AIDA64 compatible with the Rampage 4 Extreme (for probes PCH and opt_temp), but it could create conflict, right?

You can try to make a version that I will test?

Thanks so much

I've sent you a private message about this.

Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.co...75jgq7h5fwslzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

The latest beta has a revamped sensor code for Rampage IV Extreme, Formula and Gene, and also for Maximus V Extreme and Formula. It basically implements a sophisticated -- yet quite suboptimal -- workaround that has 2 working modes. First mode is when AI Suite is not installed, then it will handle the EC directly, it will now switch EC banks (to access the previously missing readings), and also supports the special Asus EC chip. The other working mode is when AI Suite is installed, then it will acquire sensor readings from AI Suite, via a DLL call. Problem is: that DLL call is quite slow compared to direct EC access, but at least it should not collide with AI Suite. The other problem is: this is not a generic solution for all Asus motherboards, so we have to implement it motherboard by motherboard, which is a tiring and slow process, not to mention it is still not a proper fix, just a workaround :( Third problem: on Sabertooth boards, even with this fix not all readings can be read when AI Suite is installed. We'll continue improving this solution once Asus is ready to fix AI Suite.