Ramses

"Turn off hard disk after" function

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I noticed a kind of issue caused by AIDA64.

With AIDA64 running, the hard disks won't stop automatically after a period of inactivity.

Do you know a way to force them to stop, even with AIDA running please ?

It is caused by the hardware monitoring module of AIDA64 that polls hard disk drives (and SSD drives as well) and reads their temperatures 3 times a minute. You can however adjust that polling frequency if you want. Go to AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Hardware Monitoring, and set "Disk temperature polling frequency" to for example 3600 seconds. That way AIDA64 will only wake your drives once an hour.

Regards,

Fiery

It would be better if windows could stop the disk while continuing to read the sensor :P

I agree. It's not Windows' fault, but it's a limitation of the hard disk firmwares :(

spin up and spin down is the most intensive part of a hdd's operations anyhow, so its best to either keep spin ups low or always keep it spinning

I agree. It's not Windows' fault, but it's a limitation of the hard disk firmwares :(

I have some tiny Idea…

Is it possible to stop the monitoring when the computer is idle?

I have some tiny Idea…

Is it possible to stop the monitoring when the computer is idle?

No, it's not possible. And we'd prefer to stay away from trying to fix the limitations of HDD firmwares. We've already implemented the disk drive polling option.