7950x cpu temp issue.

Lahabria

Good morning, 

Having a strange issue with AIDA64 Engineer. 

Everything seems to be working except CPU and CPU Package temperatures. 

After startup it seems to read the sensor then freezes, it doesn't update.

GPU and other temperatures seems to work. 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, running the stable version and the beta version and same results. 

I can see the temperatures working fine using ICue / HWInfo.

I also tried AIDA64 Extreme and same results. 

ROG Strix X670E-A
Ryzen 9 7950x
RTX 3090

Have Icue and Steelseries GG running. 

image_2022-10-18_110343788.png

Screenshot 2022-10-18 105755.png

isasensordump.txt

Just adding that I am experiencing the same issue.  CPU package temp gets locked as soon as Aida reads the sensors.  I had it lock at 82c once, fans went full and stayed on full despite my going back to idle.  This is quite dangerous - if someone were to have their package temp locked at a low reading and then they ran something that drove the temps over 95c, I don't think it would increase the fans or throttle at all.

This is on a 7950x and Crosshair x670e Extreme running on Windows 10.  Aida Extreme version 6.75.6142 Beta.

Oh, incidentally, my GPU is a 1080TI and it doesn't seem to be locking that particular reading.  But it may not be limited to just CPU package temp either.

EDIT:  For the record, I tried the sensors on HWInfo64, and it is not causing this issue.  It can monitor the CPU package temp correctly without locking it.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, Lahabria said:

Further update to this topic, I upgraded to a RTX 4090 yesterday and the temperature for the GPU is also not working, just showing N/A.

At this point AIDA64 is unusable.  

Please try the latest AIDA64 update of v6.80.6200 that we've just released, and let us know if it manages to remedy those issues.  Thank you for your patience!

10 minutes ago, Fiery said:

Please try the latest AIDA64 update of v6.80.6200 that we've just released, and let us know if it manages to remedy those issues.  Thank you for your patience!

Hi Fiery,

I'm afraid not.  Still locks CPU Package Temp when I activate sensor panel.  Thanks for acknowledging the issue anyway.

19 hours ago, Fiery said:

Thanks @Fiery, the GPU issue seems to be sorted, on the CPU side, watts & frequency works fine, still locks up the temperature. 

48 minutes ago, Lahabria said:

Thanks @Fiery, the GPU issue seems to be sorted, on the CPU side, watts & frequency works fine, still locks up the temperature. 

Thank you!  We're investigating the issue.  Do you guys have Ryzen Master installed?  We now suspect that it may be a collision between that and AIDA64.  BTW, the issue affects older motherboards (e.g. MSI X570) and other 3rd party monitoring software (e.g. HWiNFO64) too.

1 hour ago, Fiery said:

Thank you!  We're investigating the issue.  Do you guys have Ryzen Master installed?  We now suspect that it may be a collision between that and AIDA64.  BTW, the issue affects older motherboards (e.g. MSI X570) and other 3rd party monitoring software (e.g. HWiNFO64) too.

Interesting.  I do have Ryzen Master installed, but I was thinking of switching to setting eco mode in the BIOS anyway.  I'll uninstall it, do it via BIOS, and give it another try. 

I still do not see the issue using HWInfo64 though.  Running it now with RM installed and package temp still works fine.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:58 PM, Fiery said:

Uninstalled RM, set eco mode via BIOS instead.  CPU package temp still locking upon activating sensorpanel.  As noted before, shutting down Aida64 completely does not unlock the temp.  Reboot is required.

I would look at a possible conflict with Asus Ryujin II 360 Cooler EVA edition, as I am using that and it does also read package temp (I also have the built-in LED on a Crosshair x670e Extreme monitoring that temp).  

Out of curiosity, I disabled the display of the temps on both the Asus cooler and the onboard motherboard LED.  Just have them displaying animations instead.  Changed nothing, CPU temp still locking.  Not surprising though, as the temps would still have to be monitored by those devices to properly drive the fans.

Something else occurs to me.  On the latest BIOS version for my ASUS Crosshair X670e Extreme, BIOS 0705, they modified the BIOS such that the 2 character LED that normally displays Q-Codes (POST status) on Asus boards now displays CPU temperature by default instead.  As I am already displaying CPU Temp both elsewhere on the motherboard and on my CPU cooler, I personally immediately changed that BIOS setting to "Show POST codes only", which was the default behavior before this latest BIOS version.

There does seem to currently be a bug in BIOS 0705 where, if you set it to "Show POST codes only", the LED shows the normal and expected "AA" code only briefly while Windows is loading, only to permanently change to "81" in the middle of the load.  This does not happen when running Ubuntu off a USB, it stays "AA" in that case, so it's definitely something in Windows triggering it. No one knows what that means or why, but it's probably just a bug.

I mention this because I don't think AIDA was causing this issue until I updated my BIOS to 0705, and the implementation of something directly tied to CPU temp monitoring seems to be a bit buggy, so it seems like it'd be worth investigating.

EDIT:  So I decided to experiment, and set that BIOS setting back to "Auto" so that it displays temp, and verified that Aida still locks the CPU package temp when sensors are turned on.  However, it's also true that the temp being displayed where the POST codes normally go is *not* CPU package temp.  Not sure what temp it is honestly, I saw at one point that I had 70c package temp and only showed 38c on that led.  So maybe it's just a single core temp?  Or motherboard temp?  Not sure.  At any rate, that temperature being displayed does not completely lock when I start the sensorpanel (unlike CPU package temp) but it does seem to be much less likely to change over time. 

Same problem here, 7900X on a Crosshair VIII Hero. Only thing I can think of that I did since this problem started is, I enabled ASUS's "Enhancement" and "Medium Load Boostit" settings in PBO, but even if I turn those back off or reset CMOS completely, nothing changes.

CPU + CPU Package Temps seem to be the only issues I'm having. My 4090 temp works fine.

Same issue here. CPU Temperature always locked to incorrect number. 7950X, ASUS X670E Hero, no Ryzen Master, HWiNFO reads all sensors fine.

Edit: I just noticed the CPU temperature reported by Nuvoton NCT6799D does update eventually, but the values are way off. Example: during stress test (200W CPU power) HWiNFO reported CPU at 95 degrees (which makes sense and I assume is accurate). Aida64 was showing 42-45 degrees the entire time.

Screenshot 2022-11-01 084550.png

5 hours ago, DBentt said:

We're all using ASUS motherboards, so must be some kind of ASUS problem. Do you all have Armory Crate installed?

Yes.

I will add that the problem seems a bit more severe for me.  Others are saying that other apps are reading temperature correctly, but in my case, my Asus Ryojin II 360 Eva Edition CPU cooler, and the motherboard LED on my Crossfire Extreme mobo, are showing the locked temperature.  And that temperature drives the fans.  Once that temperature gets locked I don't dare do anything except reboot.

2 hours ago, Qwinn said:

Yes.

I will add that the problem seems a bit more severe for me.  Others are saying that other apps are reading temperature correctly, but in my case, my Asus Ryojin II 360 Eva Edition CPU cooler, and the motherboard LED on my Crossfire Extreme mobo, are showing the locked temperature.  And that temperature drives the fans.  Once that temperature gets locked I don't dare do anything except reboot.

can you test with hwinfo?

On 10/25/2022 at 8:58 PM, Fiery said:

For me at least there is no issue with other monitoring software as you can see in my previous message on this thread.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:03 AM, Lahabria said:

Good morning, 

Having a strange issue with AIDA64 Engineer. 

Everything seems to be working except CPU and CPU Package temperatures. 

After startup it seems to read the sensor then freezes, it doesn't update.

GPU and other temperatures seems to work. 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, running the stable version and the beta version and same results. 

I can see the temperatures working fine using ICue / HWInfo.

I also tried AIDA64 Extreme and same results. 

ROG Strix X670E-A
Ryzen 9 7950x
RTX 3090

Have Icue and Steelseries GG running. 

image_2022-10-18_110343788.png

Screenshot 2022-10-18 105755.png

isasensordump.txt 9.45 kB · 5 downloads

Now this happened to me also, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E Gaming. But it happens in both Asus Armory Crate and Aida64 Extreme. But AMD Master reads correct temps.

Sometimes its stuck at 77 CPU and 88 package, 1 time it was stuck at some 50s/40s values.

I suspect Asus bios problem.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:46 AM, Qwinn said:

Just adding that I am experiencing the same issue.  CPU package temp gets locked as soon as Aida reads the sensors.  I had it lock at 82c once, fans went full and stayed on full despite my going back to idle.  This is quite dangerous - if someone were to have their package temp locked at a low reading and then they ran something that drove the temps over 95c, I don't think it would increase the fans or throttle at all.

This is on a 7950x and Crosshair x670e Extreme running on Windows 10.  Aida Extreme version 6.75.6142 Beta.

Oh, incidentally, my GPU is a 1080TI and it doesn't seem to be locking that particular reading.  But it may not be limited to just CPU package temp either.

EDIT:  For the record, I tried the sensors on HWInfo64, and it is not causing this issue.  It can monitor the CPU package temp correctly without locking it.

I'm on the Asus x670e Hero with Aida64 current beta and the temp does not read correctly gets stuck 61c cpu and 70c cpu pkg, once I put the PC in sleep mode and wakes it up the temp now reads 29c cpu and 36c cpu pkg matching HWiNFO.

Weird.