Aida64 freezes every ~ 20 sec (Asus P5Q RAID)

Deivs

Ok. Problem is on the title.

My system spec:

1. Asus P5Q-E

2. Kingston DDR-800 D2N5 4x1 Gb

3. nvidia geForce 9800GT Ultimate

4. wESTERN dIGITAL WD7501AAL1 X1 and SamsuNg HD403LJ x2 @ raid0

5. Win 7 x64

6. System is not OC

its raid driver problem or aida64 reading method prob from smart menu, because when I disable temp sensors (low-level sensor operations), all working ok. Everest always passes all sensors. ichoose aida64 for smart disk temp showing reason. Whats wrong with that?

Intel Rapid Storage RAID drivers cause that issue. Unlike Everest, AIDA64 implements a special call to acquire SMART disk health information (incl. disk temperature measurement) using a pass-through code via Intel RAID drivers. And that pass-through seems to cause slowdowns (freezes, lags) on certain configurations. We'll report the issue to Intel, and let's hope their next RAID driver release will fix that.

To get lags less frequently than 20 seconds, you can try changing the option "Disk temperature polling frequency" (in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Hardware Monitoring) to a higher value, e.g. 1800 seconds. You need the latest AIDA64 beta to have that option.

Thanks,

Fiery

• Like 1

I have just started experiencing this issue too and my configuration is as follows

My setup previously was

Asus P5Q-E with Intel set to RAID

1 x OCZ vertex 2 60 Gb drive

3 x Western Digital Black 500GB drives in RAID 0.

I never noticed any sort of freezing with this configuration

I recently changed my drives over to

Asus P5Q-E with Intel set to RAID

1 x OCZ vertex 2 60 Gb drive

2 x Western Digital Black 500GB drives in RAID 1

2 x Samsung F3 1 TB drives in RAID 1

I now get the freezing and stuttering effect every 20 seconds in Windows and not just aida. I have a feeling this maybe the Samsung drives as I notice a slight pause during the BIOS boot sequence when it does the SMART detection on them as well.

Any chance of a beta version which disables the polling of the data instead of just increasing the poll time as it still annoying when it occurs and is quite noticeable for me?

We've improved the Intel RAID array handling part of AIDA64. Hopefully it will eliminate the lagging issues when AIDA64 reads disk temperature from Intel RAID arrays.

Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1241ow5ief2yskzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks,

Fiery

still the same freeze issue for me, no better :)

Then I'm afraid we cannot do more to avoid the freezes :( We've done extensive tests in the past 2 weeks, and apparently the issue does not come up with Version 8 of Intel RAID drivers, but it does come up on certain configurations with Version 10 of Intel RAID drivers. The actual slowdown seems to be occuring inside Intel RAID drivers, so we hope Intel will eventually fix that and make us all happy :)

Just updated and the lag seems to be less noticeable but is still there. Previously it would lag for nearly a second but is about half that now I think.

Thanks for all your efforts on trying to resolve this issue lets hope intel can fix this in the next release.

Love the software and the level of support you guys give :)

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to disable AIDA64 from reading the RAID hard drive sensor values. In 1.60 even if I uncheck low-level smart operations (and reboot) it still polls the temperature sensors on the schedule set under hardware monitoring (3600 seconds for me). This is fairly annoying when watching movies, playing games (things that are a longer than an hour) as I notice the lag....

A

Is there a way to disable AIDA64 from reading the RAID hard drive sensor values. In 1.60 even if I uncheck low-level smart operations (and reboot) it still polls the temperature sensors on the schedule set under hardware monitoring (3600 seconds for me). This is fairly annoying when watching movies, playing games (things that are a longer than an hour) as I notice the lag....

We've fixed the issue about SMART stability option not affecting the RAID SMART layer. We've also implemented a new, separate option to let you disable only the RAID SMART functions. That way, you can have SMART readout for non-RAID drives, and only disable the SMART readout for RAID array member drives.

Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1306w6ekj1ycvnzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks,

Fiery

• Like 1

Thanks Fiery works a treat. Thanks again for the amazing support :D

With the RAID Smart option disabled and the smart low level checks enabled AIDA correctly polls my SSD boot drive but doesnt poll the intel raid so preventing the lag issues.

Thanks again

Andy

• 1 month later...

Good to hear this issue is solved in the latest beta, I thought I'd add a post from a separate thread just for posterity.

I found this thread by googling the same issue.

I can confirm this same problem is occuring on Windows 7 64-bit with AIDA 1.60.1300, I get mouse lag every 10 seconds or so which only occurs if AIDA is running. I've tried disabling low-level SMART operations as suggested, but the issue persisted. I have no external drives connected, no special sensor devices attached, and no other hardware monitoring software running in the background - unless you count the Intel RST tools.

Any help would be appreciated, I love AIDA64 to bits but this is slowly driving me nuts. :)

EDIT: Just did some testing and narrowed down the issue to the 'Disk Temperature Polling' interval, got all excited that I'd found the problem, and then found this thread

Oh well at least you guys know about it. For reference, my setup involves 4 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drives in an intel RST RAID, using the latest RST drivers.