AIDA64 kernel driver locks CPU fan speed (ASRock X399 Taichi / Asus Zenith Extreme)

tacal666

dear all,

Windows 10 + Asrock Taichi X399 + THREADRIPPER 1950X + AORUS 1080TI

when i run aida64 on sensor page for 15mn then run a cpu stress test, my cpu fan speed stay at the minimum rpm !!! when i restart a computer and immediately run a cpu stress test, my cpu fan follow the cpu temp correctly, but when aida64 stay opened for 15mn and run a cpu stress test again, my cpu fan is locked again at the minimum rpm, when i disable LOAD KERNEL DRIVER on aida64 settings, and leave aida64 open for 15mn or longer, then running cpu stress test, the cpu fan respond correctly and follow the cpu temp.

Regards.

tacal666 : do you have any other monitoring software installed?  Like ASRock A-Tuning Utility?

aTsgR : This is a known issue about Asus AM4 and TR4 socket based motherboards.  Asus is already working on the fix that will deliver as a future BIOS update.  When it becomes available, we will need to modify AIDA64 to work with the new sensor interface.  The new interface will be a lot more solid and will finally prevent any form of collision between the ROG chips and 3rd party monitoring software like AIDA64.

@Fiery

after uninstalling ASRock A-Tuning Utility  & AMD RYZEN MASTER for THReadRipper, i thing that the bug disappear, but finally no, it just take more time to appear, from 15mn to 45mn, so could you tell me if there is a way to detect from where the bug comes.

Regards.

On ‎2018‎. ‎04‎. ‎06‎. at 9:28 PM, aTsgR said:

@Fiery please do you have an ETA on this? I have my board for 6 months already... it's the bane of my existence...

It's not our ETA I'm afraid.  The work has to be done by Asus who is responsible for coming up with a sensor interface that enables 3rd party applications like AIDA64 (and HWiNFO, HWMonitor, SIV, etc) to work stable, without them interfering with the BIOS and AI Suite.

3 hours ago, tacal666 said:

@Fiery

after uninstalling ASRock A-Tuning Utility  & AMD RYZEN MASTER for THReadRipper, i thing that the bug disappear, but finally no, it just take more time to appear, from 15mn to 45mn, so could you tell me if there is a way to detect from where the bug comes.

Regards.

This is a new phenomenon to us.  Previously we've seen no such issues about ASRock motherboards.  We suspect the issue is a system component that keeps altering the sensor registers, and sometimes that activity collides with AIDA64 about sensor register access.  It would be important to find out what system component may be responsible for the collision.  Are you sure you don't have any monitoring software or a component (like a service module) of them left over after the uninstallation of the mentioned 2 software?  Please also try to ask ASRock's Tech Support, maybe they know what the collision is caused by.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a X399 Fatal1ty with the same problem. If Aida is started then the BIOS/F-Stream Tunning utilities set the lowest rpm on the fans.

Is there any workaround for this issue? I would like to keep Aida opened since it shows the cpu temperatures and fan speeds on my rgb keyboard where I can realize quickly if somehting is wrong.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, drunkly said:

I have a X399 Fatal1ty with the same problem. If Aida is started then the BIOS/F-Stream Tunning utilities set the lowest rpm on the fans.

Is there any workaround for this issue? I would like to keep Aida opened since it shows the cpu temperatures and fan speeds on my rgb keyboard where I can realize quickly if somehting is wrong.

Not yet, since we don't know what's happening.  We'll need to get an ASRock Fatal1ty class motherboard to diagnose this issue.

I just want to notify than I make it works. The steps I did to fix it:

- Uninstall F-stream Tunning utility.

- Clear CMOS

-Update BIOS to last version (On my case  from 3.30 to 3.50)

Now looks like the fan speed is working as expected.

I didn't test the F-Stream Tunning utility because I don't want to break whatever I changed to make it works. However looks like using only the BIOS controller it doesn't reset to the lowest rpm after a few minutos so probably it was due a BIOS bug.

So if someone has the same problem I suggest to try to update the BIOS to the latest version available.

• 3 weeks later...

A variation of this bug, makes AIDA64 unusable for me. I use an ASUS ROG Strix B450 I + 3700X. After some uptime of the system, either some fans get stuck at the lowest RPM, which results in high temps or, even worse, the AIO PUMP shuts completely off. This leads to the processor overheating to over 100C fast, when under load. Additionally for some reason zen 2 doesn't shut down when temperatures breach the thermal limit. I have seen reports of units reaching 130C or more. So when you are not present to shut off the system, AIDA64 may damage your processor.

This only happens with AIDA64, other monitoring software, like hwinfo, doesnt suffer from this.

• 10 months later...

After the last upgrade on BIOS to 3.80 it has stopeed working again. Now a I have the machine running as server and I can't stay checking the fan speed every few minutes so I disabled the kernel driver also. Now I have missing all the features a have set up (cpu temperature alerts, keyboard rgb, http panel, etc) so I think I will uninstall the application soon.

I was suffering this motherboard for 2 year and now I think I took a wrong decission trusting Asrock products. Next time will go for Gigabyte or Asus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 12:50 PM, naber said:

A variation of this bug, makes AIDA64 unusable for me. I use an ASUS ROG Strix B450 I + 3700X. After some uptime of the system, either some fans get stuck at the lowest RPM, which results in high temps or, even worse, the AIO PUMP shuts completely off. This leads to the processor overheating to over 100C fast, when under load. Additionally for some reason zen 2 doesn't shut down when temperatures breach the thermal limit. I have seen reports of units reaching 130C or more. So when you are not present to shut off the system, AIDA64 may damage your processor.

This only happens with AIDA64, other monitoring software, like hwinfo, doesnt suffer from this.

That particular motherboard has a very bad sensor implementation that is very difficult to handle.  And with that it's quite easy to have the sensor access collide between AIDA64 and the BIOS :( We haven't found a perfect solution for the issue that would work with all BIOS versions of your motherboard.  But, you may want to try enabling Asus WMI sensor support in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability and restart AIDA64 to apply the changes in case you have your motherboard updated to the latest BIOS.  If that layer (Asus WMI ACPI sensors) works correctly with your motherboard, then collisions along with pump stopping or fan stopping issues wouldn't occur.

• 3 months later...

I just want to say that after 1 year being not able to use Aida64 due this problem I have replaved my air fans for a liquid AIO.

After this change I keep running Aida64 for few days and never have seen the problem of rpm stuck too high or too low.

The 2 AIO fans are connected in the same place than the previous 2 fans with the same wires so I guess the problems were due the fans and not the motherboar like I thought.

So un case anyone is getting this problem and has other fans, give an oportunity them, probably it solve the issue also.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:39 PM, drunkly said:

I just want to say that after 1 year being not able to use Aida64 due this problem I have replaved my air fans for a liquid AIO.

After this change I keep running Aida64 for few days and never have seen the problem of rpm stuck too high or too low.

The 2 AIO fans are connected in the same place than the previous 2 fans with the same wires so I guess the problems were due the fans and not the motherboar like I thought.

So un case anyone is getting this problem and has other fans, give an oportunity them, probably it solve the issue also.

Thank you for letting us know about how you managed to resolve it.  I'm glad it works fine now with your system.