According to AIDA64 my CPU is running a lot hotter after changing cases, why?

osborn2009

Okay so I recently acquired a MSI 3070 Suprim X and had to get a new case for the brand new computer I built. I bought the Lian Li O11 Dynamic. Here is my build. I noticed that my CPU was running about 10-15 degrees warmer while idle than it was in my old smaller case. That didn't feel right, so I figured maybe I had the fans running wrong or I needed a bigger cooler. After watching several videos, this one explained the "best fan configuration" for this case, to which the video maker and most of the commenters agreed. That configuration is 3 exhaust fans on the "back/side", 3 intake fans on the bottom blowing up, 3 intake fans on the CPU radiator at the top. So I went out and bought some more fans and a bigger 360mm AIO and swapped everything out. It has not made even the tiniest bit of difference. In my old case, it was running at 28-32 degrees when idle, now it is running at 48-54 degrees when idle. Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? or what I am missing?

iCUE is using like 8% of the CPU and AIDA64/other programs have been using between 0-1.2% of the CPU for a grand total of between 12-15% while idle.

The room my set up is in is pretty cold. I like to keep my apartment really cool in general, so it does not fluctuate much at all.

When I check MSI Afterburner and Corsair iCUE, the CPU Temp says 28 degrees. Meanwhile CPUID HWMonitor and AIDA64 both say its fluctuating between 46-52.... What is going on?

There are several different CPU temps I can select in AIDA64: CPU, CPU Package, CPU IA Cores, CPU GT Cores. I've noticed that the first three all show the previously mentioned high temperatures. But the CPU GT Cores shows the same temp as MSI Afterburner.

166267303_538431023789361_3013890835804187450_n.jpg

165618299_445185740095768_1080973186067918822_n.jpg

Just a few thoughts: 

~30° is very low. I don't think I've ever seen my CPUs that low. 

~50° seems quite acceptable for idle to me. 

12-16% is not really idle. When my CPU is idle it's in low single figures. Sounds like you have some hungry programs running. Even 12-16% of a single core is more than what I'd call idle. If you mean 12-16% of total CPU, then that's like more than a full core of your 10-core CPU. No way you can expect 30° with that kind of workload. 

I don't know what GT cores means, but maybe it's measuring something other than the 12-15% that's being used. 

GT is the CPU integrated graphics, should be disabled in BIOS when using discreet graphics card e.g. RTX3070.

iCUE is basically crap, and does not play well with other monitoring software, so you get what you get. What does HWiNFO say?

CPU Package is what I use when referring to CPU temperature.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 12:18 AM, osborn2009 said:

Okay so I recently acquired a MSI 3070 Suprim X and had to get a new case for the brand new computer I built. I bought the Lian Li O11 Dynamic. Here is my build. I noticed that my CPU was running about 10-15 degrees warmer while idle than it was in my old smaller case. That didn't feel right, so I figured maybe I had the fans running wrong or I needed a bigger cooler. After watching several videos, this one explained the "best fan configuration" for this case, to which the video maker and most of the commenters agreed. That configuration is 3 exhaust fans on the "back/side", 3 intake fans on the bottom blowing up, 3 intake fans on the CPU radiator at the top. So I went out and bought some more fans and a bigger 360mm AIO and swapped everything out. It has not made even the tiniest bit of difference. In my old case, it was running at 28-32 degrees when idle, now it is running at 48-54 degrees when idle. Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? or what I am missing?

iCUE is using like 8% of the CPU and AIDA64/other programs have been using between 0-1.2% of the CPU for a grand total of between 12-15% while idle.

The room my set up is in is pretty cold. I like to keep my apartment really cool in general, so it does not fluctuate much at all.

When I check MSI Afterburner and Corsair iCUE, the CPU Temp says 28 degrees. Meanwhile CPUID HWMonitor and AIDA64 both say its fluctuating between 46-52.... What is going on?

There are several different CPU temps I can select in AIDA64: CPU, CPU Package, CPU IA Cores, CPU GT Cores. I've noticed that the first three all show the previously mentioned high temperatures. But the CPU GT Cores shows the same temp as MSI Afterburner.

It's hard to tell since we have no technical information on how CPU temperature is measured by Afterburner or iCUE.  Modern processors implement several methods to measure CPU temperature, and you need to decide which one you take into account.  The highest temp, lowest temp, the average of them, it's up to you.  BTW, even on top of the ones you've listed there are the CPU core temperature readings too -- just to make it even more complicated :)

I'd personally trust HWMonitor in this case, but it may be worth checking HWiNFO64 too.