Windows 7 Icons (New Icons in General)

B. A. Kenney

Hello,

I just transitioned from EVEREST Ultimate Edition V5.50.2253 Beta. I love that product.

But I love AIDA64 even more!

Since AIDA64 is different from EVEREST and also it is new, the icons should also be updated as well to reflect the transition. The old XP and old icons are boring. Windows 7 is today's OS and we should be able to let AIDA64 look like Windows 7 with similar Windows 7 icons or 3D icons.

I would like to thank FinalWire for making the world's most amazing program!!! I use this program more than I'd use with any other program! This program looks great and gives me the information I so desire to know! Awesome job, FinalWire!

Thanks again,

BK

Thank you for you comments :D Quite frankly, we didn't implement Windows 7 icons, because in most cases AIDA64 displays icons in their 16x16 pixel version, and in 16x16 most Windows 7 icons look a bit pale (all gray and blue) and too similar to each other. We find Windows 2000 and Windows XP icons easier to identify, and more colorful, especially in 16x16 version. We wanted to wait until someone asks for Win7 icons, but now that you have, we may give this another thought :( As an optional feature it may work out well. I'll let you know in this topic when we implemented this feature.

Regards,

Fiery

Obtaining the 32x32 icons is not a problem, but as you can see, AIDA64 uses 16x16 icons e.g. in the page menu on the left of its user interface, and also in MHTML reports and on most information pages as well. But since we'll implement Win7 icons as an option, if someone doesn't like how they look, he can revert back to WinXP-style icons.

You can add the following if you, or your company thinks that this is appropriate and not too much work, or too much big in application build size.

My idea:

You can add: File > Preferences > General and maybe add an icon section where users can select whether they want to use the 16x16 traditional icons or the Windows 7-like icons.

Thanks again,

BK

We've implemented Windows 7 style icons. Please note that we're not finished with this, so this is just a sneak peek of how it will look like in the next stable release of AIDA64. We'll continue revamping the graphics elements of the user interface to make it look more consistent.

Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1123r4ivje6xphzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works. You can switch between Windows 2000 looks, Windows XP looks and Windows 7 looks in AIDA64 / main menu / Preferences / General / Icons style.

Thanks,

Fiery

Hello Fiery!

Thank you so much for taking advice! I just downloaded the latest beta release and I have to be honest that the icons look very sharp. I hope it wasn't too much of hassle to you, and if it was, I greatly apologize. :)

My idea, I think, made some people happy, and I am happy, too. I know there is still ways to go, but time will tell.

Thank you SO MUCH again! ;)

Sincerely,

Bin

I noticed with the new icons, that "motherboard" retained it's old icon. Was this intentional or did motherboard accidentally get left out for the new icons?

We're still changing icons, so Build 1123 was only a mid-term preview ;) The motherboard icon is not an old one, and it's not related to the previous WinXP-style looks, so we kept it. We may change it soon though, to make sure that icon also features a "fresh" look.