PC locks up, screen goes black for minutes, but test doesn't fail

First post. Love the product and the active support community!

I *think* I have a stable system:

• Ryzen 5 1600 3.8 GHz @ 1.3375v
  • MSI Tomahawk B350
  • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200 RAM running at 2666 @ 1.36v
  • EVGA GTX 1070 SC with a +100/500 overclock GPU/memory
  • Plenty of clean power via an EVGA Supernova G2 750w PSU

I've run AIDA64 for hours without failures with the ^^ settings after some failed tests made me pull back my memory clock and increase my Vcore. Most recently I ran FPU by itself without issue (76C max temp on top-down air cooling in a "meh" airflow case...weird, right? I'll save that for another post), then all the subtests (minus GPU) at once without FPU, then finally added FPU to the mix for the last hour so that all subtests minus GPU were running at once. At multiple points during my stress testing my two monitors went black for 5-10 minutes at a time. The pointer was visible and movable, sometimes with a spinny wheel, sometimes not, but at no point could I get control of the PC back until it decided to come back on its own. I assumed this was going to be a failed test but the progress bar was still chugging along and no failures had been reported. I've gotten the black screen on a GPU only test before and assumed it was because I was stressing the graphical interface beyond its ability to send info to my monitors, but in these recent tests I omitted the GPU from testing. I've read up as much as I can find in these forums and around the web but haven't seen this as a problem. Any feedback would be appreciated.

It could be because Windows was trying to activate the screen saver or lock screen while the test was still running.  But, since the AIDA64 stress test is quite demanding, Windows itself may not have gotten the enough number of CPU cycles to use its own features about updating the Desktop.

Either way, in case the test kept going on, no error was reported, and the computer didn't lock up or powered off, it is still a stable system ;)

On ‎2017‎. ‎06‎. ‎13‎. at 6:18 PM, TerafloppinDatP said:

Thanks. Ironically, I think it was the BOINC screensaver, which oddly never comes on while running BOINC but does come on only after a minute or two of AIDA64. Must have installed itself with the BOINC manager.

Thank you for letting us know about the root cause :)