Vcore with 7940X and Asus Rampage VI Apex

tistou77

Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Thanks,
Fiery

12 hours ago, tistou77 said:

Hi Fiery

the requested file

Thanks

isasensordump.txt

Thank you.  Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works.

On ‎2017‎. ‎10‎. ‎12‎. at 2:58 AM, tistou77 said:

Then the Vcore is indicated but remains "blocked" in idle (no variation in load)
The CPU VRM and CPU Cache voltages are not indicated

The way it works on your motherboard is that at idle the Vcore voltage provided by the onboard sensor chip gets too low.  In which case we've been told to use the CPU VID value instead of the measured Vcore voltage value.

As far as I can tell, the voltage rails you miss aren't monitored by the onboard sensor chip on your motherboard.  You may be able to adjust those rails in the BIOS Setup, but readback is not provided.

1 hour ago, Fiery said:

The way it works on your motherboard is that at idle the Vcore voltage provided by the onboard sensor chip gets too low.  In which case we've been told to use the CPU VID value instead of the measured Vcore voltage value.

As far as I can tell, the voltage rails you miss aren't monitored by the onboard sensor chip on your motherboard.  You may be able to adjust those rails in the BIOS Setup, but readback is not provided.

Ok thank you, and you know if on the Rampage VI Extreme, it's the same ?

Ok Thanks

Something I do not understand, with the Turbo Vcore software from Asus, it's possible to have the voltage of the Mesh/Cache (and modify it), Aida64 should be able to read this voltage, right?

And with the old beta, CPUID read the VCCIN
instead of Vcore, is that this tension was accessible ?

Thanks

All I can tell you about the Vcore issue is that AIDA64 does what the BIOS does on your motherboard.  If the logic behind it seems odd, well, then the BIOS works odd too :)

We've added the requested CPU Cache voltage reading in the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know how it works ;)

Ok for Vcore, no worries

It seems to be good for Cache voltage
And for the voltage "CPU VRM", it should be possible to have it?
CPUID Aida64 reads it (but it is indicated Core Voltage and not CPU VRM)

Or it is a misreading of the Vcore (even if the voltage corresponds to the VRM CPU) ?

Thanks so much

PS: It also lacks + 3.3v voltage, normal ?

On ‎2017‎. ‎10‎. ‎20‎. at 9:16 AM, tistou77 said:

Ok for Vcore, no worries

It seems to be good for Cache voltage
And for the voltage "CPU VRM", it should be possible to have it?
CPUID Aida64 reads it (but it is indicated Core Voltage and not CPU VRM)

Or it is a misreading of the Vcore (even if the voltage corresponds to the VRM CPU) ?

Thanks so much

PS: It also lacks + 3.3v voltage, normal ?

AIDA64 CPUID Panel shows Vcore, matching the "CPU Core" voltage reading on the Computer / Sensor page.  There's no separate CPU VRM voltage rail that one could measure on your motherboard AFAIK.  We'll add +3.3V readout in the next AIDA64 beta update due in a few days from now ;)

2 hours ago, Fiery said:

AIDA64 CPUID Panel shows Vcore, matching the "CPU Core" voltage reading on the Computer / Sensor page.  There's no separate CPU VRM voltage rail that one could measure on your motherboard AFAIK.  We'll add +3.3V readout in the next AIDA64 beta update due in a few days from now ;)

Thanks for the +3.3v

For the CPU VRM (VCCIN), this voltage is very well read by SIV 64X (indicated in yellow on the screen)
There will be an update of SIV to indicate the VCCIN (instead of Core)

Capture.PNG.8ae936c40425da3bc6cf5d74625ce9e4.PNG

that's why SIV will do an update normally, and indicated this voltage as VCCIN and indicated the "good" tension for the Vcore
Several people with Rampage VI have tried by changing this voltage in the bios, and this is the VCCIN

Or this tension is available or we do not understand :)

11 hours ago, tistou77 said:

that's why SIV will do an update normally, and indicated this voltage as VCCIN and indicated the "good" tension for the Vcore
Several people with Rampage VI have tried by changing this voltage in the bios, and this is the VCCIN

Or this tension is available or we do not understand :)

All I know is that VIN0 is Vcore :) But at idle its value shouldn't be used.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, Fiery said:

All I know is that VIN0 is Vcore :) But at idle its value shouldn't be used.

ok thanks, I will use SIV64X to be able to read the VCCIN, in idle and load, the voltage is correctly read (checked with the DMM on the motherboard)

I also asked Asus to see if the problem could be corrected
For other brands of motherboard, is it the same or not ?

On ‎2017‎. ‎11‎. ‎01‎. at 2:18 AM, tistou77 said:

ok thanks, I will use SIV64X to be able to read the VCCIN, in idle and load, the voltage is correctly read (checked with the DMM on the motherboard)

I also asked Asus to see if the problem could be corrected
For other brands of motherboard, is it the same or not ?

We've done more research on this.  As it turns out, on Asus Rampage VI Apex and Extreme boards VIN0 holds VCCIN when you have a Skylake-X processor installed; but the same register holds the Vcore when you have a Kaby Lake-X processor installed.  Similar separation of register layout, based on the type of installed processor exists with other manufacturers as well.  It's a recent phenomenon about the X299 platform, and should be no longer an issue once Intel commits to a single CPU architecture for each platform :)

We'll correct the VCCIN vs. Vcore issue in the next AIDA64 beta update.

3 hours ago, Fiery said:

We've done more research on this.  As it turns out, on Asus Rampage VI Apex and Extreme boards VIN0 holds VCCIN when you have a Skylake-X processor installed; but the same register holds the Vcore when you have a Kaby Lake-X processor installed.  Similar separation of register layout, based on the type of installed processor exists with other manufacturers as well.  It's a recent phenomenon about the X299 platform, and should be no longer an issue once Intel commits to a single CPU architecture for each platform :)

We'll correct the VCCIN vs. Vcore issue in the next AIDA64 beta update.

Ok, thanks for the explanation
Will it be possible to read the VCCIN with a Skylake-X and the next update on a Rampage VI ?

Thanks so much

7 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

Ok, thanks for the explanation
Will it be possible to read the VCCIN with a Skylake-X and the next update on a Rampage VI ?

Thanks so much

Yes, of course. On Rampage VI boards with a Skylake-X processor installed, VCCIN will be measured, and Vcore will show the same reading as CPU VID.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎. ‎12‎. ‎03‎. at 5:06 PM, tistou77 said:

Hello

With X299, the CPU Input Voltage is indicated VCCIN, and on X99, it is indicated CPU VRM
It is possible that also was indicated CPU VRM on X299 ?

Intel uses VCCIN for the Skylake-X voltage rail in question, so that's the correct term to use by monitoring software as well.