Gif image background for sensorpanel ?

FoX

16 minutes ago, FoX said:

Is it possible to create the background of the sensor panel using an animated gif?

This would allow some design options.

Thank you an best regards

FoX

GIF image format and any form of animations are not supported by the SensorPanel.

• 7 months later...
On 6/17/2020 at 3:16 AM, FoX said:

Is it possible to create the background of the sensor panel using an animated gif?

This would allow some design options.

Thank you an best regards

FoX

What I've done is to find a background where you can modify various sections of the background like the attached and I set it as a custom gauge and assign the three different backgrounds randomly across the 16 levels then I pick something like a CPU temp that changes constantly. Make sure to narrow the high and low of the gauge range so that 16 levels of the custom gauge are constantly switching the backgrounds.

yel2.png

yel3.png

yel1.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Using custom gauge we can simulate animation tied to sensor. Can we just get a 1-16 timer like it shows in the sample window so it steps by seconds interval or something. My CPU temp barely changes. I like that I can make custom gauges tied to sensor but for background I just want something to change every second or every 5 seconds. 16 images is more than enough. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/25/2021 at 2:33 PM, flagrant99 said:

Using custom gauge we can simulate animation tied to sensor. Can we just get a 1-16 timer like it shows in the sample window so it steps by seconds interval or something. My CPU temp barely changes. I like that I can make custom gauges tied to sensor but for background I just want something to change every second or every 5 seconds. 16 images is more than enough. 

I realize that this is rather an old thread. Nevertheless, I'd like to share a little program that I've made recently, which can help you achieve the described goal.

How it works:

Simply speaking SymlinkSwapper creates a file (symbolic link/symlink), which you can use as a sensor panel background. Symlink points to one of the files in the directory of your choosing. After user-defined time passes, SymlinkSwapper replaces the file it created with a new symlink, this time pointing to the next file in the source directory. And so on and so forth. A short while after the sensor panel detects that the symlink has changed it reloads the background image. 

Download + source code:

SymlinkSwapper GitHub page
Select the "Releases" URL to download the executable file.

Demo:

https://youtu.be/BuAg57Ey89Q
Recorded on Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1 build 19043.1288
Aida64 Engineer 6.50.5800

Disclaimer:

Running this software results in a small amount of data being written onto your SSD/HDD. However small it might be, it's happening constantly with the frequency that you choose. In order to avoid any unnecessary I/O operations that might, in the long run, impact the lifespan of your storage device I would suggest using a Ram Disk utility, such as ImDisk, to store those files in the system memory.

ImDisk tutorial

Please note that in order for the SymlinkSwapper to work, the executing user has to be assigned appropriate privileges. If you don't wish to modify your system settings for the sole purpose of testing this software you should be able to get it going by selecting "Run as administrator" from the context menu.

scr1.png

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

How about using a GIF filmstrip image in a rainmeter skin? Once you have a moving desktop animation/widget in rainmeter, then you can move it over to the sensor panel... of course, it would be a bit harder probably, if you wanted it to be a full screen background, and not just a small animation in a corner or something, and obviously, the fewer the frames and smaller the filesize and/or dimensions of the "filmstrip" GIF the better it would (likely) run on lower end hardware, as not as much memory would likely be required...

• Like 1