Images come and go (Gimp PNG export)

gbubrodieman

On 11/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, gbubrodieman said:

I have several images and several come and go.  I did notice when I have the SensorPanel Manager open and hit export they all come back.  If I hit cancel some go away again.  I attached a GIF of the issue

Are you using PNG or JPEG images?  Are there any particular pecularity about those images?  Maybe they're too large files or have special embedded data in them?

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:38 PM, gbubrodieman said:

All the images are PNGs.  They all appear to be the sameish size

I think we've managed to fix the issue.  Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know if it helps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, Fiery said:

I think we've managed to fix the issue.  Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme available at:

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Let me know if it helps.

I'm also having this issue. I downloaded and ran the beta you linked, and it worked immediately after importing the layout. But if I close AIDA64 and re-open, the images are missing again.

All my images are PNGs with transparent backgrounds.

The peculiar thing to me is that it's not very consistent. Only about half of the images are actually disappearing. As I'm typing this up now, almost all the images of my panel are there, except 2. The red CPU overlay image, and the bottom lightsaber image. The red CPU image is completely gone, as if it were deleted. And the bottom lightsaber image is flashing on and off every couple of seconds.

All of the lightsaber images were spliced out of the same source image, and individually exported through Gimp with the same settings. Same goes for the other icon images.

Let me know if there's any other info that'd be helpful to you.

I attached some screenshots of the various states of my panel from working, not working, and working inconsistently. I also added 2 of the images that are causing problems.

not missing.png

missing images.png

Mace.png

cpu.png

inconsistent.png

So quick update, immediately after posting my response...

I re-exported all my PNGs with Gimp, but tweaked some of the settings to reduce the metadata. I unchecked the options:

• Save Exif data
  • Save XMP data
  • Save IPTC data
  • Save thumbnail
  • Save color profile

Disclaimer: I have no idea what these settings do.

However, so far all my icons have stopped disappearing. I can close and re-open AIDA64 over and over, and all my icons are there. I re-tested this in the latest stable release, as well as the beta and it's working in both.

Anecdotally the file sizes of all these images has dropped dramatically. From 5-10 KB to a few hundred bytes. 

Hope this helps!

2021-01-23_13h26_51.png

• Like 1

Thank you so much ,this worked for me for now at least.  I guess the issue is when the file size is too large.  This fixed the issue for images as well as the same issue I was having with custom gauges as well.  I just exported the PNG for each state for the gauge with the smaller size and my gauges now work!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 7:40 PM, ProbablyAlex said:

So quick update, immediately after posting my response...

I re-exported all my PNGs with Gimp, but tweaked some of the settings to reduce the metadata. I unchecked the options:

• Save Exif data
  • Save XMP data
  • Save IPTC data
  • Save thumbnail
  • Save color profile

Disclaimer: I have no idea what these settings do.

However, so far all my icons have stopped disappearing. I can close and re-open AIDA64 over and over, and all my icons are there. I re-tested this in the latest stable release, as well as the beta and it's working in both.

Anecdotally the file sizes of all these images has dropped dramatically. From 5-10 KB to a few hundred bytes. 

Hope this helps!

That's a great find, thank you for posting it!  We'll recommend that workaround to others too.

• Fiery changed the title to Images come and go (Gimp PNG export)
On 3/5/2021 at 6:14 PM, merlindo said:

So after some extensive testing the culprit seems to be thumbnail data only. You only need to uncheck thumbnail data when exporting from gimp.

Thank you for the experiment!  Here's the fix for the PNG loading issues:

Let us know how it works with your PNG images.

• 7 months later...