Jump to content
AIDA64 Discussion Forum
Elderdeekey

Asus Maximus X Formula W_FLOW header missing

Recommended Posts

One of the reasons to buy this expensive mobo was my thought to get rid of unpleasant reading of water cooling flow in rpm and get it as  L/min or alike. Maximus X Formula has W_FLOW header and when my flow meter from Koolance is connected to that header it shows my flow as L/min in BIOS.

To my unfortunate AIDA64 doesn't show it in the list. I do understand this is very new mobo and perhaps AIDA doesn't know about it (yet).

I've tried the latest beta (5.95.4544 Beta). Any plans to add it in the future releases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

W_FLOW header is shown as Water Flow fan in AIDA64. But you may need to enable the following 2 options in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability to have the reading properly measured by AIDA64.

Embedded Controller (EC) support
Embedded Controller (EC) bank switching

Regards,
Fiery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply, both are enabled, no show...

Edit - added a few pictures to illustrate the situation.

bios.jpg

ec.jpg

visible fans.jpg

Edited by Elderdeekey
added pictures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elderdeekey said:

Thanks for the reply, both are enabled, no show...

Edit - added a few pictures to illustrate the situation.

Thank you for the photos.  Please right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

Then right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> SMBus Dump (Full). Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post.

Finally, right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> Embedded Controller Dump. Copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post.


Thanks,
Fiery

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎. ‎02‎. ‎21‎. at 10:18 PM, Elderdeekey said:

wow, never seen that before :)

Please find 3 dump files attached and thank you very much for the attention to the problem!

ecdump.txt

isasensordump.txt

smbusdump_full.txt

Thank you.  Strangely we cannot see any valid readings in the W_FLOW register.  One more odd thing is that the CPU OPT fan register seems to indicate a reading of 1395 RPM in your register dumps, but on the BIOS Setup photo above the CPU OPT fan didn't seem to be spinning at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is not my area of expertise :) I will run another test connecting very simple flow meter to that header. Will write about results right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually I was eager to see if that helps and made that simple loop right away - as you may see below this is EKWB DDC PWM pump with the simplest flow meter from Barrow. Coolant rotates propeller which sends interrupts via 3-pin cable to fan's header on mother board. This cable was attached to W_FLOW header there.

simple_loop.jpg.2ca67eecb6a9c18d087c50f6dd4eba6a.jpg

This is Flow Rate reading in BIOS:

flow_rate_bios_reading.jpg.d674b5d716c17e2d081a9b41ea7f8ea2.jpg

 

To my unfortunate nothing has changed since my first try - still no Water Flow Fan or alike in the list of sensors...

I'm using 5.95.4557 Beta version and have attached dump files below from this simple test.

Hope you could find something that prevents AIDA to see that bloody Flow Rate :)

Thanks!

ecdump2.txt

isasensordump2.txt

smbusdump_full2.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, it looks much better :) We'll fix the issue in the next AIDA64 beta update.  I'll post a link into this topic once the new beta build is available for download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fiery, great job!

Yes, "Water Flow" as cooling fan is visible now. Also, as a free beer, I've also got 2 sensors from Aquasuite visible as well: 1) - the real flow meter (they call it Aqua-Computer Flow sensor MPS flow 100, it is connected via USB to motherboard) and 2) - it's internal temperature sensor. Both wasn't visible before :) 

Well, as you told before, "water flow" header is visible as cooling fan... and so it shows RPM, not L/min or L/hour the way ASUS BIOS shows it at monitoring page (please see a screencap below):

rpm.jpg.701b3f886b0a8555c84e6d666fddf28d.jpg

I do know there is a simple math in conversion from RPMs to LPH or LPM (or even simply rename RPM into flow measurement) as I still need it that way... It seems like it shows it as ml/min (it is close to my 70 LPH for main loop w/o workload). So could it be possible to show it as a real flow units?

P.S. Interesting enough that Aquasuite sensor is seen as Flow#1 and shows flow in correct format 56.8 LPH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎. ‎03‎. ‎13‎. at 10:06 AM, Elderdeekey said:

Just to add - according to asus support answer the conversion RPM into flow units is done by using this approach -
https://www.wou.edu/las/physci/taylor/g322/flow_meter_velocity_conversion_chart.pdf

Thank you for your feedback.  I don't think that that formula applies to this particular case.  Asus seems to use a simpler formula of x 24 / 1000 to convert the raw RPM readings into LPM (L/M).  The AIDA64 sensor module uses a fixed measurement unit of LPH (L/H) on the flow sensor readings, so we need to come up with a proper formula to convert the RPM value of Water Flow on your motherboard into the LPH reading that can be squeezed into the AIDA64 sensor module as a secondary measurement for the same reading for your motherboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

I am interested in this conversion from RPM to L/H
With my Rampage VI Extreme, in the bios I have the indication as on the screen of Elderdeekey and in Aida64, it is RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

Hello

I am interested in this conversion from RPM to L/H
With my Rampage VI Extreme, in the bios I have the indication as on the screen of Elderdeekey and in Aida64, it is RPM

Based on your experiences with your Rampage VI Extreme motherboard, what do you reckon the proper conversion formula from RPM to LPH would be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fiery said:

Based on your experiences with your Rampage VI Extreme motherboard, what do you reckon the proper conversion formula from RPM to LPH would be?

It would seem, according to Koolance for their flow meters, that the indicated RPMs would correspond approximately to ml/min
And therefore 1500 RPM = ~1500 ml/min = 90 L/H
After I do not know if it's applicable just to the product Koolance

But in the bios, I have 76 L/M indicated and in Aida64, 2900RPM ...
I think 76 L/M is huge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tistou77 said:

It would seem, according to Koolance for their flow meters, that the indicated RPMs would correspond approximately to ml/min
And therefore 1500 RPM = ~1500 ml/min = 90 L/H
After I do not know if it's applicable just to the product Koolance

But in the bios, I have 76 L/M indicated and in Aida64, 2900RPM ...
I think 76 L/M is huge

The BIOS (at least on Maximus X Formula) uses a formula of x 24 / 1000 to get to L/M, but I don't think that that formula is correct.  Unless we can come up with a proper formula that yields to values that make sense, I'd be hesitant to convert the raw RPM reading to anything else...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fiery said:

The BIOS (at least on Maximus X Formula) uses a formula of x 24 / 1000 to get to L/M, but I don't think that that formula is correct.  Unless we can come up with a proper formula that yields to values that make sense, I'd be hesitant to convert the raw RPM reading to anything else...

at ~ 200 RPM, that will correspond to the conversion indicated by Koolance

76 L/M (in my bios) = 76 x1000 /24 = 3166 RPM
In Aida64 = ~2950 RPM

Having PWM pumps, I will have to check by disabling the PWM (the pumps can turn faster while being in the bios)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked, in the bios I have 70 L/M and ~ 2900, 2920 RPM under Aida64
70 L/M = 70 * 1000/24 = 2916

It corresponds, no ?

Asus's method will be the right one ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 7:42 PM, Fiery said:

Thank you for your feedback.  I don't think that that formula applies to this particular case.  Asus seems to use a simpler formula of x 24 / 1000 to convert the raw RPM readings into LPM (L/M).  The AIDA64 sensor module uses a fixed measurement unit of LPH (L/H) on the flow sensor readings, so we need to come up with a proper formula to convert the RPM value of Water Flow on your motherboard into the LPH reading that can be squeezed into the AIDA64 sensor module as a secondary measurement for the same reading for your motherboard.

I finally got the second Aqua-Computer Flow sensor MPS flow 400, which is seen as Flow sensor in AIDA64, and which shows flow as LPH. It takes data from Aqua software, aka Aquasuite. Sensor is connected to motherboard via USB2. AIDA64 takes Flow data from Aquasuite and shows it as LPH within its sensors. So conversion is done by Aqua SW from the data received from their own sensor.

To compare flow data I could rely on my water pump RPM only - it always was/is around 2200 RPM from the very beginning.

Now let's see what data I've got:
- my previous Koolance flow meter, connected to WATER_FLOW header, was showing 36 L/M in BIOS (see 1st screencapture) - unrealistically high value, while AIDA64 was showing ~1300 RPM. If connected to any fan header it was showing 1200-1250 RPM;
- my today's flow meter from Aqua (with the same water pump RPM) shows ~100 LPH. It is very realistic number as D5 PWM from EKWB is capable to produce up to 400 LPH under full load, which is ~4800 RPM (and my loop has low flow resistance). In my particular case Aqua sensor shows ~330 LPH when pump is around 4800 RPM.

It could be calibrated more precisely but my point is - 
ASUS has made WATER_FLOW header but didn't specify what flow meters should/could be connected to this one. It doesn't take into consideration the internal diameter of your tubes etc. That makes me think this is rather marketing feature of this motherboard than a precise tool you could rely on for water flow measurement in flow units (L/M or L/H). If you need such tool - buy flow meter from Koolance (with appropriate LCD and HW converter, so you will see flow in LPH) or Aqua one. The measurement through WATER_FLOW header depends on what flow meter you connect there and since you can't specify which one you have connected (ASUS BIOS doesn't have such feature) as well as diameter of your tubes and/or other parameters, BIOS data might not be realistic and definitely are not precise whatever formula ASUS is using for conversion.

Bottom line - after second thought I agree with Fiery - no need to convert this header info in AIDA from RPM to LPH - the data might not be correct... Let's leave it as such - RPM :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎. ‎03‎. ‎21‎. at 10:22 PM, Elderdeekey said:

I finally got the second Aqua-Computer Flow sensor MPS flow 400, which is seen as Flow sensor in AIDA64, and which shows flow as LPH. It takes data from Aqua software, aka Aquasuite. Sensor is connected to motherboard via USB2. AIDA64 takes Flow data from Aquasuite and shows it as LPH within its sensors. So conversion is done by Aqua SW from the data received from their own sensor.

To compare flow data I could rely on my water pump RPM only - it always was/is around 2200 RPM from the very beginning.

Now let's see what data I've got:
- my previous Koolance flow meter, connected to WATER_FLOW header, was showing 36 L/M in BIOS (see 1st screencapture) - unrealistically high value, while AIDA64 was showing ~1300 RPM. If connected to any fan header it was showing 1200-1250 RPM;
- my today's flow meter from Aqua (with the same water pump RPM) shows ~100 LPH. It is very realistic number as D5 PWM from EKWB is capable to produce up to 400 LPH under full load, which is ~4800 RPM (and my loop has low flow resistance). In my particular case Aqua sensor shows ~330 LPH when pump is around 4800 RPM.

It could be calibrated more precisely but my point is - 
ASUS has made WATER_FLOW header but didn't specify what flow meters should/could be connected to this one. It doesn't take into consideration the internal diameter of your tubes etc. That makes me think this is rather marketing feature of this motherboard than a precise tool you could rely on for water flow measurement in flow units (L/M or L/H). If you need such tool - buy flow meter from Koolance (with appropriate LCD and HW converter, so you will see flow in LPH) or Aqua one. The measurement through WATER_FLOW header depends on what flow meter you connect there and since you can't specify which one you have connected (ASUS BIOS doesn't have such feature) as well as diameter of your tubes and/or other parameters, BIOS data might not be realistic and definitely are not precise whatever formula ASUS is using for conversion.

Bottom line - after second thought I agree with Fiery - no need to convert this header info in AIDA from RPM to LPH - the data might not be correct... Let's leave it as such - RPM :)

Thank you for your test runs and detailed feedback, it's very helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2018 at 2:06 AM, Elderdeekey said:

Just to add - according to asus support answer the conversion RPM into flow units is done by using this approach -
https://www.wou.edu/las/physci/taylor/g322/flow_meter_velocity_conversion_chart.pdf

I'm confused. Isn't that converting rpm to meter per second? So speed of water moving, not the actual amount of liquid flowing? I don't care of water is moving at 35775367 m/s if it only a teaspoon a min

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to bring back from dead but I'm trying to figure this out on a maximus XI formula and google has this thread at top of a very short list of relevant hits. I have koolance flow meter and their adapter and show 40 L/M is uefi

Was this ever figured out? I can't find flow reading in aida. Is beta version required for this still? I'm using 5.98.4800

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rtlflat said:

Sorry to bring back from dead but I'm trying to figure this out on a maximus XI formula and google has this thread at top of a very short list of relevant hits. I have koolance flow meter and their adapter and show 40 L/M is uefi

Was this ever figured out? I can't find flow reading in aida. Is beta version required for this still? I'm using 5.98.4800

On Asus Maximus motherboards AIDA64 doesn't convert the raw flow readings to L/M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

I come back with this post, the flow meter is connected to a plug 2 pin (for flow meter) on the Rampage VI Extreme

Is it possible to have unity in LPH and not in RPM (as currently) ?
in bios, it's indicated in L/M

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Similar Content

    • By leghmoh
      Hello,
      Aida64 is reporting wrong VCCIN and DIMM AB and CD voltages, after overclocking.
      CPU is Intel 10940X and Memory is Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3600 Mhz.
       
      Thanks a Lot
       
      Best Regards
    • By btmouse
      ASUS ROG all-in-one liquid CPU cooler ,
      https://www.asus.com/Cooling/ROG-RYUO-240/

      https://www.asus.com/Cooling/ROG-RYUJIN-360/
       

    • By insp1re2600
      Hi,
      Will there be support for the ryujin 360 oled screen for hardware stats on non asus motherboards pulled from wmi?
      This would be hugely appreciated.
      Thanks
    • By Mors
      I don't see the pump speed etc. for the AIO. Is this a bug or does it need to be added ?
       
      Blah again this should be in bugs section. 
    • By Rockstonicko
      So I'm about at my wits end with this, this is such a bizarre issue. I've already submitted a ticket to Asus about this and they are "researching" why this is happening for the last 2 days but I've heard nothing back yet, so I figured I'd do the same for AIDA64 and see if there are any answers/suggestions/solutions or jokes to ease my insanity.

      AIDA64 Extreme ver. 6.10.5200 is the only hardware monitoring application I'm using as I've read multiple monitoring apps can cause the ITE IT8665E Super IO chip to bug out. (Among 1000 other things, is this thing just garbage or what?)
      I'm also using the Logitech LCD configuration in AIDA64 to display temperatures/clockspeeds/VRM current/power/etc. basically all the important information I can fit spread between 4 pages on my Logitech LCD. However, I'm not monitoring fan speeds on my LCD just in case that's causing an issue.
      After anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours, the fans I have connected to motherboard headers will stop spinning. After doing some experimentation and attempting to control the fans after they have stopped, I've figured out that the fan logic is randomly inverting. That is, 100% fan speed becomes 0%, and 0% becomes 100%, 66% fan speed becomes 34% fan speed etc. So after it happens, I can set the fans to 0% and they will spin back up to 100%, or to 34% and they will spin back up to 66%. So I have some form of solution, albeit not an ideal one.

      I've also noticed that once the logic reverse happens, the fan sensor values in AIDA64 either freeze at their reported value, or they just show 0 RPM depending on how it's feeling at that particular instance. If I'm not running AIDA64 this will not happen, but it's an inevitability whenever AIDA64 is running. Rebooting the PC or sleep/resume will correct the issue for another 15 minutes to 2 hours.

      Here are the only options I have enabled in the stability section of AIDA64:
      Load Kernel driver Low-Level MSR Low-Level PCI Low-Level SMBus Low-Level sensor Low-Level SMART SMBus access through ACPI GPU Sensor Support I have disabled Asus WMI sensor support because I read that can solve the issue, but it hasn't helped.

      This is also the second fresh install of Windows 10 on this machine, and it has happened during both installs. I'm on the latest 5220 BIOS, and changing all of the parameters of Q-Fan in the BIOS doesn't seem to have any effect.

      Specs:
      MB: Asus Prime X470-Pro CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT SSD's: Samsung 860 EVO 256GB + Samsung 840 Pro 128GB HDD's: Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital Blue 1TB PSU: Enermax Triathlor Eco 1000W  
×
×
  • Create New...