fixed: Incorrect CPU usage since Windows 11 22H2

Navadude805
Go to solution Solved by Fiery,

On 1/9/2023 at 2:11 PM, Fiery said:

@a3v01d @Nenesse007  @AäronWydoodt  @rgp  @doncarlos  @Stratdevel  @JPALEOLOGOS  @Jethro  @Babaz  @Uroš Huzjak  @Haggbo  @rdorian  @Squall Leonhart  @Benni231990  @Pepo  @jklei18  @Eireman  @fossi  @Slipknot79  @EvolutionVR  @zynaps  @geoff.s  @jimmysombrero  @mondueo  @Raymond David Smith Jr.  @mfung1985  @Peabutt

Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

You need to activate (tick) the last option on the AIDA64 / main menu / Preferences / Stability page called Windows 11 CPU utilization measurement workaround.  Let me know if it helps to obtain more realistic CPU utilization measurements.

So I downloaded this new beta and went to the aforementioned Preferences Page and clicked stability but there is NO option called WINDOWS !! CPU UTILIZATION MEASUREMENT WORKAROUND...

Am I missing something here?

5 minutes ago, JPALEOLOGOS said:

So I downloaded this new beta and went to the aforementioned Preferences Page and clicked stability but there is NO option called WINDOWS !! CPU UTILIZATION MEASUREMENT WORKAROUND...

Am I missing something here?

Disregard my last comment. The download link you provided did not take me to the newest BETA update and I had to find it from inside AIDA itself for it to update correctly (under checking for updates).

I have now applied the setting and can advise that AIDA is reporting SOMEWHAT correctly but is still off by a couple of % points - at least under light usage...

Its better but still not proper but for a workaround I guess its better than nothing...

Thanks for doing SOMETHING on this but I hope a FULL and PROPER fix will come soon between Microsoft and AIDA...

On 1/9/2023 at 2:38 PM, Slipknot79 said:

Thank you. But it is still not 100% accurate. Seems that AIDAs overall CPU usage is bit below the task managers value. Its around 3-5% below, like 13% (AIDA) vs 17% (task manager) when there is almost no load (Ca. 20 Chrome tabs open with 1 browser game and 1 youtube music video running) 

Another test with prime95 (tested 8 of 16 threads)
AIDA: 65%
Task manager: Ca 90-95%

Another test with prime95 (tested 4 of 16 threads)
AIDA: 46-48%
Task manager: Ca 63-66%

This is exactly what I am now experiencing since updating to the latest beta as well...

What makes less sense to me out of all of this is that my GF has one of those ALIEXPRESS 3.5 inch Sensor Panels with the preconfigured monitoring software (which is apparently based on AIDA64 - at least thats how its advertised) and that little monitor has no issues reporting EXACTLY what Task Manager reports and she is also on the newest official WIN 11 build as I am.

How is it that this little no name piece of software has no issues at all?...

1 hour ago, JPALEOLOGOS said:

This is exactly what I am now experiencing since updating to the latest beta as well...

What makes less sense to me out of all of this is that my GF has one of those ALIEXPRESS 3.5 inch Sensor Panels with the preconfigured monitoring software (which is apparently based on AIDA64 - at least thats how its advertised) and that little monitor has no issues reporting EXACTLY what Task Manager reports and she is also on the newest official WIN 11 build as I am.

How is it that this little no name piece of software has no issues at all?...

your on intel and she on ryzen?

Installed this beta selected windows work around. Couple hours later windows said it wasn't activated. Been messing with it hours. Windows tech support took remote access to my computer and still couldn't figure it out. Not saying it's related to this. Don't know for sure. I didn't do nothing else except play mw2 a hour or so. So the timing is suspect. Anyways now it looks like I'm gonna have to format and fresh install to activate windows again. Strange. I wouldn't recommend this beta. Whatever caused it. Gonna cost me days of time. It is a windows workaround. Not sure what they changed exactly.... but here we are. Never had this problem before. 

10 hours ago, JPALEOLOGOS said:

Disregard my last comment. The download link you provided did not take me to the newest BETA update and I had to find it from inside AIDA itself for it to update correctly (under checking for updates).

I have now applied the setting and can advise that AIDA is reporting SOMEWHAT correctly but is still off by a couple of % points - at least under light usage...

Its better but still not proper but for a workaround I guess its better than nothing...

Thanks for doing SOMETHING on this but I hope a FULL and PROPER fix will come soon between Microsoft and AIDA...

The rest of the difference is due to the calculation method Task Manager uses that takes Turbo Boost into account too.  It's not a bug in either AIDA64 or Windows, it's simply a different way of calculating CPU utilization.  If you disable Turbo, you will see that the CPU load measurements will match between AIDA64 and Task Manager.

Check my 2 related posts above (November 23, 2022)

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2023 at 9:11 PM, Fiery said:

@a3v01d @Nenesse007  @AäronWydoodt  @rgp  @doncarlos  @Stratdevel  @JPALEOLOGOS  @Jethro  @Babaz  @Uroš Huzjak  @Haggbo  @rdorian  @Squall Leonhart  @Benni231990  @Pepo  @jklei18  @Eireman  @fossi  @Slipknot79  @EvolutionVR  @zynaps  @geoff.s  @jimmysombrero  @mondueo  @Raymond David Smith Jr.  @mfung1985  @Peabutt

Please upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme available at:

https://www.aida64.com/downloads/latesta64xebeta

You need to activate (tick) the last option on the AIDA64 / main menu / Preferences / Stability page called Windows 11 CPU utilization measurement workaround.  Let me know if it helps to obtain more realistic CPU utilization measurements.

Just found the time to test the fix. Aida64 now reports CPU usage. I've checked it in a few scenarios, most of the time Aida seems to report between 5-10% below Task Manager. My main PC use is to play Star Citizen, I've been playing for a few years so I know what to expect from my PC. 2 hour session this morning, task manager reports between 30-70% CPU usage. The results from task manager are consistent with what I expect from my setup running Star Citizen. Aida reports between 8-15% lower.

That is quite a significant variation. But at least Aida is moving in the right direction.

Message from Microsoft the other day, they are looking into the problem.

On 1/14/2023 at 4:28 PM, geoff.s said:

Just found the time to test the fix. Aida64 now reports CPU usage. I've checked it in a few scenarios, most of the time Aida seems to report between 5-10% below Task Manager. My main PC use is to play Star Citizen, I've been playing for a few years so I know what to expect from my PC. 2 hour session this morning, task manager reports between 30-70% CPU usage. The results from task manager are consistent with what I expect from my setup running Star Citizen. Aida reports between 8-15% lower.

That is quite a significant variation. But at least Aida is moving in the right direction.

Message from Microsoft the other day, they are looking into the problem.

The 5-10% difference is most likely due to the different method Windows Task Manager uses to calculate CPU utilizaton, ie. it takes Turbo Boost headroom into account too.  The 5-10% difference should decrease to a statistical error/margin if you disable Turbo Boost.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Babaz said:

when I enable this "Windows 11 CPU utilization measurement workaround", it works but the CPU usage graph disappears and reappears in the sensor panel.

do you have a solution please

Capteur.png

Sans titresensor.png

Mine is also doing this. The overall CPU Utilization works fine, but the individual cores just randomly disappear and reappear with each refresh of the data. This bug goes away if I uncheck the CPU workaround but then of course I lose the CPU utilization.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AJ1 said:

Mine is also doing this. The overall CPU Utilization works fine, but the individual cores just randomly disappear and reappear with each refresh of the data. This bug goes away if I uncheck the CPU workaround but then of course I lose the CPU utilization.

Yea mine is doing the same! I need the per-core usage for my development needs and if I turn off the CPU workaround, the values are wrong but with it turned on, the individual core graphs keep appearing and disappearing.

They appear if the usage is more than 0% but disappear when the usage drops to zero.
This mean that the issue resolves itself if I am playing a game or running a code which uses all cores consistently.

Screenshot 2023-01-16 132151.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tested with the latest beta version, and still the elements (bars, charts, whatever you select) disappear, when "Windows 11 CPU utilization measurement workaround" is enabled in the settings and the CPU utilization of the selected core is zero. Looks to me like a division by zero exception, that disables the rendering of the element.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Windows 11 Pro 22621.1344, AIDA64 Extreme version 6.85.6345 Beta

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Running a 10850K with an Asus Strix x670e-Gaming motherboard on Windows 22H2 Build 22621.1413.

I just updated to the latest version of Aida64.  The reported CPU utilization is still not correct, even with the "fix" enabled.  The issues with the bars disappearing from the sensor panel at 0% still exists as well.

It's still incredible that since this damn Windows 11 update in 22H2 in October 2022 you still haven't solved this damn "little" CPU usage problem pfff

I don't know, for example copy/paste the value given from Windows 11, is it so complicated for you to solve this problem?

During this time we pay a license for software with non-precise values, because it must be said that your correction made is not precise compared to that of Windows 11 pfff.

And the worst is that you put this topic as solved on your forum lol

Really disappointed with your support.

3 hours ago, zynaps said:

It's still incredible that since this damn Windows 11 update in 22H2 in October 2022 you still haven't solved this damn "little" CPU usage problem pfff

I don't know, for example copy/paste the value given from Windows 11, is it so complicated for you to solve this problem?

During this time we pay a license for software with non-precise values, because it must be said that your correction made is not precise compared to that of Windows 11 pfff.

And the worst is that you put this topic as solved on your forum lol

Really disappointed with your support.

Have you ticked "Windows 11 CPU utilization measurement workaround" in the stability tab? Solved the issue for me