WebDash - A dedicated iOS app for Aida64!

pazu

Introducing WebDash!

Over the last few months I have been developing an iOS application to build on Aida64's awesome remote sensor functionality. I started using Logitech's ARX system which worked well, but I didn't like how much real estate the buttons took up at the bottom, and I also had some stability problems.

So today I would like to introduce WedDash, an iOS application that can display Aida64's remote sensor information in almost full screen goodness, it has a few smarts built into it to monitor the target website and refresh itself without any human interaction.

We are currently going through Apple iTunes approval at the moment and are hoping to have it on the App Store in the next few days. I'll post back here once it is, but wanted to announce the App and get discussion going now! We also already have a few updates in the pipeline once the initial release is approved.

I'll be providing support via this forum and welcome any feedback or improvement ideas!

WebDash – Turn your iDevice into a mini dashboard!

Simply enter in your web address and WebDash will monitor and display your website, keeping the device awake and providing a mini dash board to monitor vital system statistics, web stats or just a simple website!

WebDash will continually monitor your server without any user intervention. If the server is down, WebDash will display a server offline message. As soon as the server is back online, WebDash will load the website and keep monitoring, all without you touching the device.

WebDash was built specifically for Aida64’s RemoteSensor web server capability to display system information on your iDevice, go to aida64.com for further information on Aida64.

WebDash is comparable to Logitech’s ARX Control platform, however WebDash provides more viewing space by being dedicated to just the RemoteSensor capabilities.

WebDash will work with any website or IP address and port combination.

Features in the initial release:

• Display a webpage with maximum viewing space
• Run 24/7 with live server monitoring
• Free with Ads, option to upgrade to premium, ad-free goodness (even more viewing space!)
• Force refresh button on main page
• No human interaction required once setup

For iOS 7 and 8 on all supported iPhones and iPads

Coming soon to the Apple App Store!

***DISCLAIMER*** WebDash is not affiliated with Aida64 or FinalWire in any way shape or form and no support can be provided by them for WebDash.

IMG_0015.png

The gap below is the extra space you gain, this RemoteSensor profile is a straight ARX Control Profile to show you the extra space you gain (with the premium version - ad supported version gets extra space, just not as much).

Already installing. 

If you want, you can use my panel for the app screenshots. You should also add a link to this forum where people can publish their own designs for others to find. 

It seems that the RemoteSensor server updates much more frequently than the Arx Module which is also very nice. 

Thanks a lot!

By the way, I'm not really sure what the yellow/green button at the bottom right is supposed to be doing? 

/edit: I get it, it's the indictator for the server monitor ...

Will be happy to through up your panel in the screenshots :)

I'll put a link in, was just waiting for the initial release to go up before I started tweaking hehe.

And yeah, bottom left is an indicator light: Green - Live, Red - Offline, Yellow - Loading.

BTW, you can tweak the frequency of the website updates under Preferences > Hardware Monitoring > Update Frequency. I had mine set at 1 second, but I have backed it off to 3 seconds as it a bit much with all the data I think.

Let me know if you find any other bugs :)

/edit - Link added just waiting for App Store to refresh

I knew how to configure the refresh, but it seems that the Arx Control just updates once a second, even if you set it to 500ms. The RemoteSensor Server updates the graphs twice a second, while the rest seem to be updated only once a second, still. 

Why did you back off your update rate? Did you see any impact on your system when using a higher refresh rate?

I have the problem that your app doesn't seem to keep the iPad running when the iPad has been shut down since I started the app: 

- App is running, displaying a panel, the iPad is being kept running just fine

- I shut down the iPad manually

- I turn it on later, the panel is shown as before

- The iPad seems to shut down by itself after a while, even though the server is still active. 

I'm not sure if that's exactly what happens, I just assume that, because I had the iPad shut down itself sometimes and I could always fix that by killing your app and restarting it. 

Is there a way to get the exact resolution of the visible area? So I can adjust the panel to the exact amount of pixels?

I knew how to configure the refresh, but it seems that the Arx Control just updates once a second, even if you set it to 500ms. The RemoteSensor Server updates the graphs twice a second, while the rest seem to be updated only once a second, still. 

Why did you back off your update rate? Did you see any impact on your system when using a higher refresh rate?

I was seeing some corruption in the images (which should not be reloading, but were), but it is possible I was having an issue with my network at the time, I just haven't tried it since, running it at 3 seconds at the moment.

I have the problem that your app doesn't seem to keep the iPad running when the iPad has been shut down since I started the app: 

- App is running, displaying a panel, the iPad is being kept running just fine

- I shut down the iPad manually

- I turn it on later, the panel is shown as before

- The iPad seems to shut down by itself after a while, even though the server is still active. 

I'm not sure if that's exactly what happens, I just assume that, because I had the iPad shut down itself sometimes and I could always fix that by killing your app and restarting it. 

That is definitely not expected behavior, I'm not seeing it on my devices, but its possible we have different sleep settings. That said, I have found a fix for it and will slip it into the 1.3 release.

Is there a way to get the exact resolution of the visible area? So I can adjust the panel to the exact amount of pixels?

I was hoping to pull the resolution programmaticaly, but the WebUI will only give me the pixels on the screen, because RemoteSensor scales, it throws it off. You can use Aida64 to do it though:

Save your RemoteSensor profile (export it)

Select all the items and delete them, resetting Aida64 back to the original default page

Hit apply, now go to iPad/iPhone and you should be seeing the default Aida64 splash page which will give you the exact pixels.

Let me know if that doesn't work :)

yeah unfortunately there was a bit of a bug in the refresh cycle for the monitor function. The new version is rock solid (been running it now for 3-4 days), just need to wait for the Apple review process, they are averaging 9 day turn around at the moment, so hopefully around the weekend it will get cleared.

updated version has been released!! This one should be much more stable, please let me know any feedback or further issues :)

I wanted to try this app, but it says iOS 8.1 or later is required. Above you stated it should work on iOS 7 and up ;) Also, it would be great if you could support iOS 6 devices as well. My iPhone 5 is still running iOS 6, since I personally hate when a major iOS update slows certain functions of the phone down, so I prefer to keep the original iOS the iPhone came out with.

Hey Fiery, yeah that was actually a mistake when I committed the build, I selected the wrong target OS, it works on iOS6 and up, but won't install. New version has been submitted, iOS6 and up should work fine :) Will just take a few days to be released.

Hi Pazu, 

it seems that the monitoring itself works fine, i.e. the app falls back to the "Server offline" display properly and the iPad stays active while the server is online. 

However, it seems that the iPad doesn't shut off even if the server is offline. I understood that you'd allow the iPad to shut down as soon as the server is down? Are you sure that this is working as intended?

Hi Pazu, 

it seems that the monitoring itself works fine, i.e. the app falls back to the "Server offline" display properly and the iPad stays active while the server is online. 

However, it seems that the iPad doesn't shut off even if the server is offline. I understood that you'd allow the iPad to shut down as soon as the server is down? Are you sure that this is working as intended?

That is intended behavior, the sleep/lock function is disabled, this is to allow the monitor to go from Offline > Online as soon as the webserver is available again. I can allow the device to go to sleep after it detects an Offline State, but once the device goes to sleep, you can't automatically wake it again without unlocking/human intervention. If this is something you think would be useful in your usage, I'll add a toggle on the settings page to allow sleep when offline is detected.

Edit - switch was easy to add in, have included it in the 1.4 release. You can enable it in the settings page, once it detects an offline state it will allow the device to go to sleep based on your device settings.

Hi all, 1.4 has been released to the app store, squashing a number of bugs and adding some new functionality:

– Backwards compatibility has been added for iOS6 and iOS7 users

– Option to allow the device to go to sleep (based on device settings) once an offline state has been detected

– Locked settings page to portrait mode to allow a cleaner interface

– Fixed some minor bugs

Let me know how you go with it :)

v1.4 works on iPhone 5 + iOS 6.1.4 for me. The only problem is: it somehow doesn't work well when one interrupts monitoring by e.g. performing in-app purchase. I don't know why, but it simply fails to connect again after then. It says Server Offline, but the server works fine. If I kill the app and start it again, it works. If I go to Settings, press Done button (without altering any settings), I get a blank white screen and it cannot connect back to the server again. Pushing the Home button and then opening the app again doesn't help either.

A cosmetic issue: in the Settings the two pair of buttons are not aligned horizontally.

Hi Fiery, thanks for the feedback I'll do some testing and come back to you, sounds like perhaps it isn't pulling the saved variables between the two screens correctly, at least in earlier versions of iOS (Certainly not happening on iOS8). I'll need to try and reproduce it and see what is going on.

I'll have a look at the buttons as well, it is using the new autolayout feature in xCode and I suspect it doesn't like backwards compatibility, if you get a chance, can you send or post a screenshot just so I can see it compared to what I'm seeing?

Thanks again for the feedback.

I'll have a look at the buttons as well, it is using the new autolayout feature in xCode and I suspect it doesn't like backwards compatibility, if you get a chance, can you send or post a screenshot just so I can see it compared to what I'm seeing?

I've sent you the requested screen shot in email ;)

• 1 month later...

For some reason i cant seem to get the app to work. On my pc i can see my system info by going to the server in browser, but in the app i type the exact same ip and port and it just says server offline.  I'm using ip of my pc in browser as well not localhost.  Please help :)

Hi there, couple of things to check:

a) can you access the website via the safari browser?

B) also double check you aren't putting http:// in the IP field (only put in the ip address)

c) can you try with the host name of the computer?

What device/version of IOS are you running?

The app itself is fairly simple in that it is running a stripped down version of Safari, so if you can hit the website on safari, it should work.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...