SensorPanel -- a new flexible monitoring module to replace OSD and Sidebar Gadget

Fiery

As this is the "Brainstorming" sub-forum, I thought I would throw out a couple thoughts, which may have already been considered.

1.Graphing function/object:

> object height/width user specifiable

> horizontal axis reflects user specifiable time period (limited by buffer requirements?)

> vertical axis reflects user specifiable value OR selection to auto-scale to max value within the specified time period

> x, y, grid & graph lines each reflect use definable weight and color

> graph background reflects user definable color

> vertical/horizontal labels reflect user specifiable font, font size & background colors

> user specifiable graph title with all user definable font, size, color options

the ability to display multiple sensor values on a single graph is desirable.

perhaps a selection button in the Modify Item form specifying inclusion in the graph

the ability to define multiple graphs and assign sensor values to any defined graph would be the ultimate

this may require a graph be defined prior to assigning a sensor for graphing

2. Gauges - similar to bar, but shows sweeping needle on a dial instead of a bar

> object width user specifiable (height follows width to keep dial round)

> min, max values same as bar

> user specifiable radial dial marks

> dial, needle, background colors and value/label formatting user definable

> the dial background and/or needle change color as defined limits are passed

my 2 cents worth as it were.

Dutch

Both visual elements are on our roadmaps, so as some new bar styles. Although, I cannot promise to have graphs with multiple items on it, since it may be a bit difficult for users to understand and properly configure it. The SensorPanel feature is already complicated, so at first we have to improve on that to make it more user-friendly and easier to set up. Only after that we can start expanding its capabilities.

Both visual elements are on our roadmaps, so as some new bar styles. Although, I cannot promise to have graphs with multiple items on it, since it may be a bit difficult for users to understand and properly configure it. The SensorPanel feature is already complicated, so at first we have to improve on that to make it more user-friendly and easier to set up. Only after that we can start expanding its capabilities.

Great! Looking forward to the growth of SensorPanel.

I do have a slightly differing opinion as to the SensorPanel Manager's "complexity". I believe it is more a case of requiring proper planning due to the pixel level formatting capability. As in all things, the more powerful a tool, the greater the control that must implemented.

Bottom line, I hope "simplifying" the user interface will not be at the expense of flexibility.;)

I do have a slightly differing opinion as to the SensorPanel Manager's "complexity". I believe it is more a case of requiring proper planning due to the pixel level formatting capability. As in all things, the more powerful a tool, the greater the control that must implemented.

Bottom line, I hope "simplifying" the user interface will not be at the expense of flexibility.;)

We of course want to keep the current layout, in order to give skilled users the maximum flexibility. On the new layout you would be able to switch from a standard (cleaner, easier, simpler) layout to the current (advanced, skilled) mode via a button or a combobox. We're still gathering user feedbacks, and will make a decision about the standard vs. advanced layout mode later on.

An alternative approach may be to keep the current "Sensor Item", "Static Label" and "Image" item types, and add a new one called "Simple Sensor Item". That new simpler item would not offer pixel-level adjustments, but only the adjustment of the following item properties: font type, text size, text color, bold/italic, show label, label, show unit, unit.

Just a couple of quick comments on an awesome feature called "Sensor Panel".....

Would it be possible, when duplicating a sensor item or importing a layout, to reference to the hardware monitoring preferences on the temperature units? It always tends default to "°C" regardless if "Fahrenheit" is selected in the hardware monitoring preferences.

The ability to change font colors based on values similar to changing the bar colors would be nice.

I would like to the ability for a "Maths" channel function where I can display averages and deltas, or whatever other calculations I want to do.

And I have no problem with the multi-graph option mentioned above. I use Motec race analysis software on a regular basis, so I don't think you could make it that difficult to configure (but that's just me).

Other than that, it works near flawless (it occasionally doesn't connect to TMSv2.x at system start-up resulting in no TMS information, but restarting AIDA64 fixes this. Could be the TMS serial drivers taking their time, but I'm not too sure. Happens about 15-20% of the time.)

Thanks in advance!

Great program!

I understand about "Modern Wo/Man's" need for instant gratification smile.gif and your need/desire to address the largest segment of your base.

But I believe if the flow is properly implemented, it would not be too difficult to use multiple sensors on a single graph.

- user selects sensor to be graphed

- if multiple graphs defined, AIDA64 lists the defined graphs and asks which graph to associate the sensor with - check sensor/graph limit

- if 1 graph is defines, AIDA64 associates the sensor to that graph - check sensor/graph limit

- if no graph is defined, AIDA64 goes to the graph defining page

The define graph selection button could be below the import & export buttons on the SenSorPanel manager, with a list of already defined graphs below that.

I would not look for AIDA64 to test the sensor value ranges for compliance to defined graph limits.

Perhaps graphing would be an option reserved for the "advanced" formatting section?

Being able to graph multiple sensors would be extremely powerful as one could easily see the real time correlation between sensors... plus saving desktop real estate.

Just food for thought.... I have great patience.

Cosmetic update of my current panel:

Edit: attachments deleted for space

Edit: the ability to apply a bias to a sensor value to be graphed would also be useful... i.e. a value that normally runs X amount less than another sensor's value could be biased up by X to show both on a smaller graph height. I know i did not say that very well, but hopefully it is understandable.

Then to take that to the Extreme, the ability to label the left/right Y axis individually... both title and values... not necessarily display the min/max values entered in the graph design module..

We've added the requested menu item into the AIDA64 System Tray icon right-click menu. Make sure to upgrade to the latest beta version of AIDA64 Extreme Edition available at:

http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extremebuild1477kx8sd2yv3czip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Thanks a lot Fiery, works great as usual, makes sensor panel usage more friendly now :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Fiery - great addition to the Aida64 suite !

Having asked about something similar to this in a previous post, I'm glad to see the feature come to fruition and be added to the software, thanks !

Just one thing really, if you create a bar for NIC upload and download, you're limited to a max' value of 99999 KBs, assuming that's kiloBYTES that means you're stuck creating a bar for gigabit connections of the like as 99999 KBs is way to low a max threshold for creating a bar for that reading.

Otherwise excellent - work !

Also I'd love to see different bar styles for sensor readings, maybe even rounded corners and also maybe gradients for the fill colours ?

Cheers

S Artois

Also how about the ability to change the alignment of the text within it's given space, i.e. within an embedded bar object, both horizontally and vertically, i.e. alike Excel whereby you can align the text within a given cell, or also the orientation of the text, and come to think of it the orientation of the object itself, i.e. a bar on a diagonal ?

In the next AIDA64 beta we'll widen the bar limit fields to 6 characters.

As for the alignment, you can sort of do it now, although it's a bit tricky :) If you select Embedded as bar place, then:

1) If you have both the value and unit enabled, then you can increase the width of the unit to move the text to the center of the bar (horizontally).

2) If you only have the value enabled (and the unit disabled), then you can benefit from an irregular configuration of adjusting the total item width to a much lower value than the bar width. So if you have e.g. a 300-pixel wide bar, try to set the item width to 150 pixels only. It will effectively move the text to the center of the bar (horizontally).

I know these aren't perfect solutions, but you may be able to attain a better SensorPanel layout before we can implement a more advanced alignment configuration.

As for the new bar styles, we do have plans about them ;)

Hi Fiery,

Thanks for the reply, think you missed this bit tho' ;)

Just one thing really, if you create a bar for NIC upload and download, you're limited to a max' value of 99999 KBs, assuming that's kiloBYTES that means you're stuck creating a bar for gigabit connections of the like as 99999 KBs is way to low a max threshold for creating a bar for that reading.

Plus I noted you can fudge the alignments somewhat that way and by inserting spaces before label names, but a more precise way would be appreciated !

Noted another problem if you select multiple bars to modify, changing the frame colour doesn't work 'globally' you have to do it for each individual bar.

HTH

SA

Thanks for the reply, think you missed this bit tho' ;)

No, I haven't. I wrote above: "In the next AIDA64 beta we'll widen the bar limit fields to 6 characters." That will extend the maximum limit value to 999999 KB/sec.

Noted another problem if you select multiple bars to modify, changing the frame colour doesn't work 'globally' you have to do it for each individual bar.

We'll check that, thanks!

No prob's on the 1st thing then, I hadn't had any caffeine yet, that's my excuse :wub:

Also the sensor panel manager, is there anyway you can get that to open where is was last closed as opposed to alway opening on top of the sensor panel please, i.e. can it remember it's last window position when closed, alike Explorer windows, etc. ?

The SensorPanel Manager window should already remember its last window position. Isn't that the case on your system?

BTW, the bar frame colour configuration on multiple items will be fixed in the next AIDA64 beta release due sometime later this week.

The SensorPanel Manager window should already remember its last window position. Isn't that the case on your system?

Unfortunately not, I've checked everything I can and I haven't I think got anything altering the default behaviour of Windows on my computer, alike NVIDIA NView can, but that's not to mean I haven't and just can't find/remember that I have.

Also my Sensor panel lives on a Nanovision MIMO U-710, a USB monitor.

So if it's just me having this issue then probably best not to waste time on it, but if others are too, then possibly something wrong ?

Hopefully that makes sense ?

SA

Maybe the fact that you have multiple monitors makes a difference...

As for the 5-digit bar limits issue and the bar frame colour adjustment bug, we've just rolled out a new AIDA64 beta that should solve both of them:

http://www.aida64.co...14gcn7wyrhdzzip

After upgrading to this new version, make sure to restart Windows to finalize the upgrade.

Maybe the fact that you have multiple monitors makes a difference...

Possibly, if I get chance I'll investigate and see if I can 'fix' it my end.

Also re: frames on bars - can you have a way to amend the thickness of the frame please ? i.e. alike changing the thickness of lines in Excel, Word, etc., plus also whether this is in addition to the bar's dimensions or inclusive in the bar's dimensions.

Also are you looking at present 'themes' - i.e. alike Winamp skins ?

Cheers

SA

• 2 weeks later...