Weird sensor reports and fan controlling issues (Asus Crosshair VI Hero)

Hurricane28

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, aTsgR said:

I see, thanks for this! hopefully ASUS gets its act together soon... as this is kind of unacceptable (for all boards involved).

They're working on it, but progress is slow due to many occuring issues.  They wouldn't want to release something half-baked.  So once the non-beta BIOSes supporting the new ACPI-WMI interface is out, they will be great :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I Agree with him man, this is unacceptable.. The weird thing is is that only the ROG boards are affected as far as i know.. Gigabyte and MSI have no problems whatsoever.. 

They released an BIOS with the implementation but its still not fixed.. I hope they release new BIOS soon with the implementation.

On 7/7/2018 at 5:06 PM, Hurricane28 said:

I Agree with him man, this is unacceptable.. The weird thing is is that only the ROG boards are affected as far as i know.. Gigabyte and MSI have no problems whatsoever.. 

They released an BIOS with the implementation but its still not fixed.. I hope they release new BIOS soon with the implementation.

Did the BIOS update and latest AIDA64 beta fix your problem completely? I'm asking because I still get fan issue even with latest BIOS on C6H and latest AIDA64. I turned off EC support and is using WMI to read sensor data. Does this mean that I may have other programs that is causing the trouble?

On 6/26/2018 at 6:35 PM, Fiery said:

They're working on it, but progress is slow due to many occuring issues.  They wouldn't want to release something half-baked.  So once the non-beta BIOSes supporting the new ACPI-WMI interface is out, they will be great :) 

Hi Fiery,

I was trialing the C6H new BIOS 6201 and latest AIDA 64 Beta version.

The fan issue seems to be better, but I got some weird issue.

After some CPU-heavy tasks, the CPU temperature reading is off, it now drops very slowly from 65 to 59 in about 5 minutes. 

On the other hand, HWInfo64 actually have a correct reading, please see attachment.

I can't explain it, as HWInfo and AIDA64 should both be reading off the ASUS WMI sensor by now.

2018-07-15 17_47_19-Microsoft Edge.png

2018-07-15 17_58_05-AIDA64 Extreme.png

Edited by EpicEric6
uploading another example.

It happened again.

It seems that only CPU temp is affacted.

CPU  Diode and other sensors are working fine.

However, all fan speeds seems to depend on CPU temp, so that in the image below, fan won't spin up.

1297483413_2018-07-1600_05_14-OSD.png.78b7f070e3b5f94d8089d9589b47f60d.png

To me it seems like prolonged pooling to fan speed can still cause the issue, no matter accessing via EC or WMI.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:51 AM, EpicEric6 said:

Hi Fiery,

I was trialing the C6H new BIOS 6201 and latest AIDA 64 Beta version.

The fan issue seems to be better, but I got some weird issue.

After some CPU-heavy tasks, the CPU temperature reading is off, it now drops very slowly from 65 to 59 in about 5 minutes. 

On the other hand, HWInfo64 actually have a correct reading, please see attachment.

I can't explain it, as HWInfo and AIDA64 should both be reading off the ASUS WMI sensor by now.

Maybe you're comparing the wrong readings against each other?  There are multiple thermal readings for the CPU, so it's not always easy to match them with another software's own readings...

13 minutes ago, Fiery said:

Maybe you're comparing the wrong readings against each other?  There are multiple thermal readings for the CPU, so it's not always easy to match them with another software's own readings...

I can assure you that the CPU(TDie) on HWInfo and CPU on AIDA64 is the same reading. 

They can be perfectly synced for a few hours until the AIDA64 reading stopped changing.

That's also when the fan start to play up (Similar to original method that cause IT8665E to hang)

If I have to guess, HWInfo is reading directly from CPU while the AIDA value still queue the motherboard? Although this reading ultimately come from the CPU.

6 minutes ago, EpicEric6 said:

I can assure you that the CPU(TDie) on HWInfo and CPU on AIDA64 is the same reading. 

They can be perfectly synced for a few hours until the AIDA64 reading stopped changing.

That's also when the fan start to play up (Similar to original method that cause IT8665E to hang)

If I have to guess, HWInfo is reading directly from CPU while the AIDA value still queue the motherboard? Although this reading ultimately come from the CPU.

The "CPU" temperature reading in AIDA64 comes from the Asus WMI interface, just like the "CPU Socket" reading.  The "CPU Diode" reading however comes directly from the CPU, without the need to go through the Asus WMI interface.  The "CPU Diode" reading is also independent from the motherboard model.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:01 PM, Fiery said:

The "CPU" temperature reading in AIDA64 comes from the Asus WMI interface, just like the "CPU Socket" reading.  The "CPU Diode" reading however comes directly from the CPU, without the need to go through the Asus WMI interface.  The "CPU Diode" reading is also independent from the motherboard model.

Hope it helps. It's not your fault, but this is what I'm talking about. That polling current ASUS WMI interface will still cause problems. On my system I've described the behavior in my previous posts.

Please see the bold line below:

HWiNFO v5.87-3490 Beta available.

Changes:

• Enhanced sensor monitoring on MSI MS-7B10.
  • Fixed NXZT Kraken X52/X62 support on some systems.
  • Disabled ASUS WMI support on current BIOSes due to a faulty BIOS implementation.
  • Added NVIDIA GV102 and GV104.

8 hours ago, EpicEric6 said:

Hope it helps. It's not your fault, but this is what I'm talking about. That polling current ASUS WMI interface will still cause problems. On my system I've described the behavior in my previous posts.

Please see the bold line below:

HWiNFO v5.87-3490 Beta available.

Changes:

• Enhanced sensor monitoring on MSI MS-7B10.
  • Fixed NXZT Kraken X52/X62 support on some systems.
  • Disabled ASUS WMI support on current BIOSes due to a faulty BIOS implementation.
  • Added NVIDIA GV102 and GV104.

There indeed are minor and major issues about the new Asus WMI interface on certain Asus motherboards.  If you want, you can disable Asus WMI sensor support in AIDA64 / main menu / File / Preferences / Stability until the BIOS side gets more mature.