Weird sensor reports and fan controlling issues (Asus Crosshair VI Hero)

Hurricane28

Hi all,

This is the second thread i make about this issue as it appears that my previous thread is forgotten or something.. 

I would like to get some help with problems i am having with the latest build of Aida64 extreme edition regarding my sensor problems which is caused by Aida64. 

I would like to know why this is happening and maybe get some feedback on this matter in order to understand why this is happening in order to fix this issues. 

I tried running the program with EC support enabled and disabled but both get the same results unfortunately. 

As you can see in the pictures below temps are not as they should be and in in read write program under kolom 6 row 00 you can see that its reading from register 43 which doesn't even exist.. This is the fan controlling which causes my fans to ramp up to 100% and stay there until i restart or sometimes reset my system. 

This only happens when i try to run Aida64, with or without EC sensor support. 

thank you. 

weird readings.JPG

EC sensor with monitoring.png

I apologize for the late response (in your other topic).  Let's continue investigating this issue here.

If you disabled EC support already, then I don't think merely reading a SIO (Super I/O) register like at index 43h could cause such issues.  You can try dumping all SIO registers (all 256 of them) by issuing an ISA Sensor Dump, and see if any of those register readouts make the fan spin up to 100%. Right-click on the bottom status bar of AIDA64 main window --> Sensor Debug --> ISA Sensor Dump. If you make such a dump, then please also copy-paste the full results into this topic, or attach the results as a TXT file to your post. You may need to enable status bar in AIDA64 / main menu / View first.

The dump may help us understand more about your system, and may provide us tips on where to look next.  I really thought disabling EC support would cure the issues you're having on your system.

Thanks,
Fiery

Hi, 

No problem, i am sure you meant well but it seems a little busy. 

The thing is that i am no engineer and to be honest, i have no idea what i am looking at in read write utility. I know what i know from someone called The Stilt ( you probably know him)  and he told me this. 

It seems that there is a big problem with this IT8655E Controller but not all errors are directly caused by it.. Its very complicated and it seems that even Elmor (Jon)  that is an r&d Engineer over at Asus, doesn't quite understand what is going on here. He told me that they are working on a fix for this in a firmware or BIOS but i haven't heard from him for 5 days now so i thought i will do my own investigation in what is going on with this thing. Anyway, here is the TXT file you were asking for. 

I really hope you can provide me some more information about this and can explain little more in what is going on regarding this issue. 

Thank you, much obliged. 

isasensordump.txt

Thank you.  You own the infamous Crosshair VI Hero :)  That explains a lot.  On this motherboard, as The Stilt correctly stated, even Asus has issues when it comes to 3rd party software polling the motherboard sensor registers.  AIDA64 follows Jon's (who works for Asus) guidelines on how to handle the IT8655E sensor chip of Crosshair VI Hero.  If it still doesn't work 100% reliably, it's not really our fault.  We've already tweaked around it a lot, but in case Asus has further ideas on how to make it better, we can put more efforts into this.  However, we haven't heard from Jon since July, so we assumed that all issues are gone now around Crosshair VI Hero.

Hi, 

Yes it does doesn't it... I mean, i like this board but its full of errors and sensors that doesn't even correctly work to begin with.. I mean, how is it possible that these issues originate from the 990 FX chipset era while i had similar problems and still continue to this day... This baffles me to be honest. 

Can you plz point to me how to handle this erratic sensor according to Jon's guidelines? He is very busy at the moment "fixing" this hardware problem, which is IMO not possible because its an design flaw in the sensor itself, but who knows. 

They just need to fix this ASAP as this is no cheapo board but an premium board with cheapo sensors with lots of problems... IMO they should replace this sensor for something more reliable and error free but i don't think they will to be honest. 

Thank you for your answer, 

Regards, 

Richard.

9 hours ago, Hurricane28 said:

Hi, 

Yes it does doesn't it... I mean, i like this board but its full of errors and sensors that doesn't even correctly work to begin with.. I mean, how is it possible that these issues originate from the 990 FX chipset era while i had similar problems and still continue to this day... This baffles me to be honest. 

Can you plz point to me how to handle this erratic sensor according to Jon's guidelines? He is very busy at the moment "fixing" this hardware problem, which is IMO not possible because its an design flaw in the sensor itself, but who knows. 

They just need to fix this ASAP as this is no cheapo board but an premium board with cheapo sensors with lots of problems... IMO they should replace this sensor for something more reliable and error free but i don't think they will to be honest. 

Thank you for your answer, 

Regards, 

Richard.

Previous Asus motherboards may have had issues about EC sensors, but now you can disable handling EC sensors in AIDA64.  So if that fix (well... more like a silly workaround) doesn't help about Crosshair VI Hero, then it's an unrelated issue to the old 990FX era issues ;)

As for Jon's guidelines: on Asus AM4 motherboards we read sensor registers using an unconventional method (MMIO) as opposed to how it works on all other motherboards where we use classic port I/O.  We also disable SMBus before reading the sensor registers, and re-enable it when we're done.  We're not keen on doing that, but that's what Jon suggested to fix the hardware collision issues.  Based on our email correspondance with Jon, those two fixes should be adequate to make AIDA64 sensor polling stable on Crosshair VI Hero and other Asus AM4 motherboards.

Hi, 

I am having the same exact issues as on my 990 FX Sabertooth board which is also an Asus board.. I mean, this problem is known for a long time now and people are still reporting issues with these erratic sensors... 

I determined that its not Aida64 nor hardwareinfo64's fault but rather the lack of support from Asus side i am afraid.. 

Anyhow, you can understand that i am pretty mad about this, not about the programs but rather towards Asus because they should have fixed this by now.. 

But i digress, 

The problem is that whenever i try to read from this EC sensor by enabling it in Aida64 or hardwareinfo64, i get stability issues and huge latency issues and i am presented with this error message in Event viewer: "The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS".

The fix that Jon provides is not a fix but a workaround which has nothing to do with fixing the problem at hand.. Its the same as an engine light or Oil temp LED in your car lights up and you simply smash the LED instead of doing something on the engine or fill the oil or whatever.. 

The thing is that they bought and faulty EC sensor from the wrong supplier and we end up with an motherboard which cannot be monitored because if we do, we get errors like this.. 

If i disabled this EC sensor i cannot monitor my vrm's, Temp_1,PCIe etc. Basically the crucial parts which i would like to monitor which is also the reason i bought this board.

Just to be clear, i should disable EC support and SMbus like in the screenshot?

Thank you for your support! Much obliged by it. 

Regards,

Richard. 

Aida64 sensors.png

Interesting, after some testing i discovered that when i use Aida64 in the background, i crash during stress testing.. When i disable Aida64 i no longer get crashes. 

Regardless the setting i use with Aida64, i keep crashing in Realbench, Cinebench R15 and IBT AVX. I don't get this problem with hardwareinfo64 tho.

You don't need to disable SMBus support, since that particular module shouldn't cause any issues on your motherboard.  As for crashes, that can still be because of a collision between your motherboard performing various tasks around the sensor chip and EC.  Hard to tell where the issue might be exactly, but without further assistance from Asus (Jon), we cannot tweak the current sensor access solution any further :(

BTW, the crashes might also indicate generic stability issues, like due to excessive overclocking, memory configuration issue, etc.

Hi, 

alright but i am not using Aida64 anymore since i get sensor corruption and stability issues even when i am not even enabling this EC sensor.. I understand what you are saying, Elmor (Jon) told us over at overclock.net that he is working with 3rt party software developers, you haven't hear from him yet? 

The Freezes and instability only occurs when i use Aida64 i am afraid, when i don't use Aida64 i am stable as a rock. I crashed yesterday at the same clocks i am running now but today i am stable as a rock after i reset the motherboard and pulled the battery out and i don't use Aida64 anymore. As soon as i open Aida64 i get crash because of sensor corruption or something, idk. 

I will ask Jon to contact you because this should be on Asus priority number 1 imo as this affects a lof of users.. 

Thank you for your feed back. 

On ‎2017‎. ‎10‎. ‎13‎. at 6:45 PM, Hurricane28 said:

Hi, 

alright but i am not using Aida64 anymore since i get sensor corruption and stability issues even when i am not even enabling this EC sensor.. I understand what you are saying, Elmor (Jon) told us over at overclock.net that he is working with 3rt party software developers, you haven't hear from him yet? 

Not recently, no...

• 1 month later...
On ‎2017‎. ‎11‎. ‎22‎. at 8:33 AM, Hurricane28 said:

Hi Fiery, 

I want to ask you if you heard from Elmor yet? He said that there was an test firmware for this EC sensor and that 3rd party software also has to involve in order to "fix" it. Now it would be handy if he actually contacted you guys.

Thnx, 

No, we haven't.  But, let's hope that the new BIOS that Grainger posted above helps.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:28 PM, Fiery said:

No, we haven't.  But, let's hope that the new BIOS that Grainger posted above helps.

Hi,

Thnx for answering,

If Elmor (Jon) didn't contact you, how is it possible that this issue is fixed? I mean, he clearly stated in my PM over at overclock.net that he can only solve it with 3rd party and Asus themselves.

Grainer, how do you know this issue is solved? I asked him at overclock.net and he answered that he doesn't know when this issue is being solved.

Thnx.

1 hour ago, Hurricane28 said:

Hi,

Thnx for answering,

If Elmor (Jon) didn't contact you, how is it possible that this issue is fixed? I mean, he clearly stated in my PM over at overclock.net that he can only solve it with 3rd party and Asus themselves.

Grainer, how do you know this issue is solved? I asked him at overclock.net and he answered that he doesn't know when this issue is being solved.

Thnx.

Just as always, we're open to any further discusson on how to fix any remaining issues about Asus motherboards.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, Hurricane28 said:

Alright, thank you for your input, i will contact Elmor again.

I just wanted to say thank you for bringing this up. My fans had the same issue on my Crosshair VI, randomly (and often) either getting stuck on full-power or turning off completely. This thread led me to uninstall Aida and everything has been running perfectly since then.

I am upset I can't run Aida on my main computer anymore, but I know the pre-set temperatures are being maintained properly and my fans are running correctly. I sure hope this annoying issue can be resolved, but it looks like it may be something that will be around for a while.

On 6.12.2017 at 9:02 AM, Hurricane28 said:

Grainger, how do you know this issue is solved? I asked him at overclock.net and he answered that he doesn't know when this issue is being solved.

Sorry for the late reply.

The answer is simple: I tested it with BIOS 3008 and the issue ist nearly fixed (but in rare circumstances the fans run with 100% again after waking up the system from sleep).

22 hours ago, Grainger said:

Sorry for the late reply.

The answer is simple: I tested it with BIOS 3008 and the issue ist nearly fixed (but in rare circumstances the fans run with 100% again after waking up the system from sleep).

There is no fix for this as it is hardware/silicon level.. The IT8665E is an incredibly buggy and cheap..

Look here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1636566/asus-rog-zenith-extreme-x399-threadripper-overclocking-support/2040#post_26506525

And here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/31580#post_26506128

2 hours ago, Hurricane28 said:

There is no fix for this as it is hardware/silicon level.. The IT8665E is an incredibly buggy and cheap..

Then there must be another reason why the error in my system almost does not occur.

But it is sad that ASUS uses such a cheap sensor on one of their premium boards just to maximize the profit by a few cents.

I also hardly have these issues anymore but the hardware problem still present..

I agree man, they should have picked a more reliable sensor like ASrock and MSI did but they didn't and instead they went with IT which is notorious about making crappy sensors.. They used it on the 990 FX Sabertooth as well and it had issues too but Asus refuses to get something else and keeps blaming 3rd party software while their own software is causing the most problems out of all of them.. AlSuite 3 is notoriously buggy and can cause serious system instability, you actually need an tool in order to remove it..

Perhaps kinda harsh to say, but i think this is the last Asus product i ever buy if they are not going to solve this issue..

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I apologize for my English which is not very good.

I have this configuration:
- Ryzen 1800X
- Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO (latest BIOS date: 3008)
- Asus ROG Front Base (LCD connected to the motherboard by the connector "ROG_EXT", display of the CPU frequency, temperature and fan speed).

https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/ROG_Front_Base/

I use AIDA64 in v5.95.4500

When I use AIDA64 (Panel) + ROG Front Base after a certain time the fans are at 100%.
In addition, the display on the ROG Front Base is completely frozen.

I then have to turn off the PC, unplug the power, wait a bit and then restart.

Using only the ROG Front base no problem to report.

There seems to be a conflict between the two elements.

I have activated all "Asus" items in the Stability menu but the problem seems to persist.

Is there a solution to avoid conflicts between AIDA64 and ASUS subsystems?

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, tomy100 said:

Hello,

I apologize for my English which is not very good.

I have this configuration:
- Ryzen 1800X
- Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO (latest BIOS date: 3008)
- Asus ROG Front Base (LCD connected to the motherboard by the connector "ROG_EXT", display of the CPU frequency, temperature and fan speed).

https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessory/ROG_Front_Base/

I use AIDA64 in v5.95.4500

When I use AIDA64 (Panel) + ROG Front Base after a certain time the fans are at 100%.
In addition, the display on the ROG Front Base is completely frozen.

I then have to turn off the PC, unplug the power, wait a bit and then restart.

Using only the ROG Front base no problem to report.

There seems to be a conflict between the two elements.

I have activated all "Asus" items in the Stability menu but the problem seems to persist.

Is there a solution to avoid conflicts between AIDA64 and ASUS subsystems?

Thank you in advance.

Asus is working on the solution as we speak.  We need to give them a few more weeks to come up with a BIOS update that would solve the collision issues.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Does the latest beta version of AIDA64 improve behavior?

Is Asus really looking for a solution? This problem seems to have been known for a long time and no bios have tried to solve this problem.

Does not Asus seek to hide the problem, and therefore never solve it?